Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 PM
maxim wexler

Default pam fixed now it's tcpdump

> I'd be more worried why you don't have
> a /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/modules.dep.

never have
$ls /lib/modules
2.6.12-gentoo-r6 2.6.16-gentoo-r3 2.6.20-gentoo-r6

> Look into your /etc/modules.d/ and modprobe.conf and
> see what's there.

it's fixed

> Maxim, I've been watching your posts for a while
> now, and most times

Thanks, glad to know someone is reading em

=== message truncated ===

Old 01-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 31 January 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
> --- Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > startkde is not in your $PATH. It's normal location
> > is
> >
> > /usr/kde/3.5/bin/startkde
> >
> > Either use an explicit full path to the binary or
> > update your PATH
>
> Actually, startkde doe not exist on my machine.
> Probably cause I'm in the midst of upgrading kde via
> -uD world and having a rough time of it ;(

It's installed by kdebase-startkde

I you use the -meta kde packages, get it by emerging kdebase-meta (I
can't think of a reason why anyone wouldn't want all of kdebase so
there's no need to emerge startkde explicitly)

If you use the monolithic kde packages then emerge kdebase.

If you want all of kde, then emerge kdebase or kdebase-meta as
appropriate and when it's done, startkde will be present

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 31 January 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
> > Look into your /etc/modules.d/ and modprobe.conf and
> > see what's there.
>
> it's fixed

Well that's good news. Looks like we are getting there. Slowly, but
getting there.

If it's any consolation, I knwo what this feels like. I too have done
emerge world on a box that hadn't seen the internet for almost a year.
That was painful too :-)

Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 AM
maxim wexler

> nazgul / # eix ^pam | grep sys-auth

Hmm, on my machine the top of the list says that there
is an invalid line in package.keywords:

">=kde-base/kde-passwd-4.0.0:kde-4" You have a
operator but we can't find a version-part

I think that was part of a list someone lent me. But
this is the first that I heard it was problem. Usually
I get the "invalid atom" and the process halts.

The rest of the list is identical otherwise except for
these last three which I don't have:

> * sys-auth/pam_blue [1]
> * sys-auth/pam_pgsql [1]
> * sys-auth/pam_sotp [1]
>
> and my /etc/pam.d/

Mine is a lot like yours; a few exceptions, eg, no
cups. But that's understandable cause I have no printer.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:11 AM
maxim wexler

> If it's any consolation, I knwo what this feels
> like. I too have done
> emerge world on a box that hadn't seen the internet
> for almost a year.
> That was painful too :-)

I'm always online but my bandwidth is so narrow
downloading anything takes over the entire stream --
can't even answer e-mail. So, I keep putting off the
updates, while the foundation crumbles unseen ;(

mw

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 31 January 2008 21:44:19 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I can't think of a reason why anyone wouldn't want all of kdebase so
> there's no need to emerge startkde explicitly

I did install startkde on this box. Six packages would now be installed if I
were to emerge kdebase-meta, namely kdebugdialog, ksysguard, ktip, klipper,
knetattach and kpager. I don't miss any of those, so what do you think I'm
losing by not installing them?

I think that installing startkde is the first step on the road to a lean
system, which I imagine is its purpose. Long may it continue!

--
Rgds
Peter