Old 10-15-2010, 06:31 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Question about selecting ebuilds from local overlay

I can't rename the ebuild, or give it a weird build number, because
the ebuild filename is used to select files to download. I'm tweaking
Firefox ebuild and eclass internals, but keeping the same filenames.
The emerge default seems to be to prefer the local overlay, which is
what I want right now. I checked "man emerge" but can't find anything
about the following 2 situations...

1) What if I want to use the standard ebuild and ignore my local ebuild
(probably quite rare)?

2) How would I select the the specific version I want (they all have the
same ebuild name) if I have multiple local overlays?

I could tweak the overlays setting in /etc/make.conf or rename a local
overlay directory, so that it doesn't get seen as an overlay, but that
seems rather heavy-handed.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 02:31:05 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> 1) What if I want to use the standard ebuild and ignore my local ebuild
> (probably quite rare)?
>
> 2) How would I select the the specific version I want (they all have the
> same ebuild name) if I have multiple local overlays?
>
> I could tweak the overlays setting in /etc/make.conf or rename a local
> overlay directory, so that it doesn't get seen as an overlay, but that
> seems rather heavy-handed.

The last named overlay has the highest priority, the standard portage
tree the lowest. Rather than mess with make.conf, you could override
PORTDIR_OVERLAY on the command line

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/my/preferred/overlay" emerge foo

--
Neil Bothwick

I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 09:49 on Friday 15 October 2010, Neil Bothwick
did opine thusly:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 02:31:05 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > 1) What if I want to use the standard ebuild and ignore my local ebuild
> > (probably quite rare)?
> >
> > 2) How would I select the the specific version I want (they all have the
> > same ebuild name) if I have multiple local overlays?
> >
> > I could tweak the overlays setting in /etc/make.conf or rename a local
> >
> > overlay directory, so that it doesn't get seen as an overlay, but that
> > seems rather heavy-handed.
>
> The last named overlay has the highest priority, the standard portage
> tree the lowest. Rather than mess with make.conf, you could override
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY on the command line
>
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/my/preferred/overlay" emerge foo

Probably not useful to the OP, but

I have a dim memory of some recent blog post somewhere. One of the alternate
package managers has better support for this kind of thing than portage.

Not paludis, rather something with "cave" in it's name

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-10-15 4:00 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> I have a dim memory of some recent blog post somewhere. One of the
> alternate package managers has better support for this kind of thing
> than portage.
>
> Not paludis, rather something with "cave" in it's name

Cave is part of paludis... I've been monitoring that list for a while -
it looks very cool, but I'm not brave enough to switch package managers...

Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Mick

On Friday 15 October 2010 08:49:29 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 02:31:05 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > 1) What if I want to use the standard ebuild and ignore my local ebuild
> > (probably quite rare)?
> >
> > 2) How would I select the the specific version I want (they all have the
> > same ebuild name) if I have multiple local overlays?
> >
> > I could tweak the overlays setting in /etc/make.conf or rename a local
> >
> > overlay directory, so that it doesn't get seen as an overlay, but that
> > seems rather heavy-handed.
>
> The last named overlay has the highest priority, the standard portage
> tree the lowest. Rather than mess with make.conf, you could override
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY on the command line
>
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/my/preferred/overlay" emerge foo

What will happen at the next emerge uaDv world?
Mick

Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:00:31 +0100, Mick wrote:

> > The last named overlay has the highest priority, the standard portage
> > tree the lowest. Rather than mess with make.conf, you could override
> > PORTDIR_OVERLAY on the command line
> >
> > PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/my/preferred/overlay" emerge foo
>
> What will happen at the next emerge uaDv world?

Nothing, if the versions in the other overlays are not higher (which can
be fixed by masking).

An alternative approach could be to have a script that runs layman -S
and then removes the unwanted packages from the other overlays.

--
Neil Bothwick

Pedestrians come in two types: Quick or Dead.