Old 10-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Chris Lumens

Default - one image to rule them all

At long last, here is my patch series to get rid of install.img and merge its
contents into the initrd. Yes, this does increase the initrd's size by quite
a bit. But it also means that however the system is booted, we are guaranteed
to have all parts of the installation environment. It gets rid of the
obnoxious stage2= parameter that no one ever should have known about. It
greatly simplifies the code for deciding what parameters mean what in loader.
It gets rid of lochangefd. It allows me to consider what from loader can move
into anaconda proper, and perhaps if loader can even die. It gets rid of that
/usr/bin vs. /bin garbage. It makes "askmethod" and "repo=" mean what they
should have meant all along - where the packages are.

I was not able to split languages out into their own support packages, though.
The reason for this is that if you boot off a boot.iso without "askmethod" or
"repo=", we default to the Fedora mirror list. But we don't know what that is
until way later in anaconda itself, and that's too late to fetch the language
support. We may also need to bring up the network to fetch it, which means
prompting in the user's language.

- Chris