Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default "Illegal instruction" error

Uh-oh.

genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal instruction",
and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message, nothing else:

$ genlop -t portage
Illegal instruction

Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:

/bin/sh: line 21: 1084 Illegal instruction /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/ --html-
dir=${installdir}

I don't really know where to start looking.....
I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless someone
else has a better idea.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Uh-oh.
>
> genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal instruction",
> and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message, nothing else:
>
> $ genlop -t portage
> Illegal instruction
>
> Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
>
> /bin/sh: line 21: *1084 Illegal instruction * * /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
> relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/ --html-
> dir=${installdir}
>

> I don't really know where to start looking.....
> I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
> search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless someone
> else has a better idea.

Alan,
Consider (if possible - is this a desktop or some in service
server?) powering down your machine, reseating your memory DIMMs,
powering back up and if possible running memtest86 (assuming it's an
x86 machine) and then seeing if the error goes away.

I've run into this a couple of times when memory problems have appeared.

Good luck and best wishes,
Mark

Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Alan McKinnon schrieb am 11.10.2010 22:39:
> Uh-oh.
>
> genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal instruction",
> and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message, nothing else:
>
> $ genlop -t portage
> Illegal instruction
>
> Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
>
> /bin/sh: line 21: 1084 Illegal instruction /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
> relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/ --html-
> dir=${installdir}
>

> I don't really know where to start looking.....
> I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
> search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless someone
> else has a better idea.

Google has something to say about this.

Recently changed CFLAGS.
Wrong CFLAGS.
Compiler has problems with march native.
Glibc corruption.

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:02 on Monday 11 October 2010, Mark Knecht
did opine thusly:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Uh-oh.
> >
> > genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal
> > instruction", and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message,
> > nothing else:
> >
> > $ genlop -t portage
> > Illegal instruction
> >
> > Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
> >
> > /bin/sh: line 21: 1084 Illegal instruction /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
> > relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/
> > --html- dir=${installdir}
> >

> > I don't really know where to start looking.....
> > I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
> > search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless
> > someone else has a better idea.
>
> Alan,
> Consider (if possible - is this a desktop or some in service
> server?) powering down your machine, reseating your memory DIMMs,
> powering back up and if possible running memtest86 (assuming it's an
> x86 machine) and then seeing if the error goes away.
>
> I've run into this a couple of times when memory problems have appeared.

Yes, that was it - memtest failed almost immediately. It's my notebook, with
2 x 2G memory banks - either one in either position works fine. With both,
memtest fails and always at the same place - step 48 of whatever.

So I guess it's the motherboard and I'll be calling Dell Support in the
morning. Am I glad the company insists we buy 3 year next-day on-site
corporate support for all hardware right now? You betcha!

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:24 on Monday 11 October 2010, Daniel
Pielmeier did opine thusly:

> Alan McKinnon schrieb am 11.10.2010 22:39:
> > Uh-oh.
> >
> > genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal
> > instruction", and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message,
> > nothing else:
> >
> > $ genlop -t portage
> > Illegal instruction
> >
> > Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
> >
> > /bin/sh: line 21: 1084 Illegal instruction /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
> > relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/
> > --html- dir=${installdir}
> >

> > I don't really know where to start looking.....
> > I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
> > search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless
> > someone else has a better idea.
>
> Google has something to say about this.
>
> Recently changed CFLAGS.
> Wrong CFLAGS.
> Compiler has problems with march native.
> Glibc corruption.

It's none of those apparently. I checked CFLAGS set by the ebuild in the
emerge log before posting and they looked fine. gcc was last updated a month
ago and the machine gets updated almost daily.

glibc seems possible but it's a moot point, especially as after investigating
memory at Mark's suggestion, genlop runs fine now, world updates successfully
and 2 ./configure errors about aclocal (that I didn't even mention before)
have gone away.

I should probably start treating this poor machine more like a notebook and
less like a high performance machine - running flat out almost 24/7 is
probably outside of it's design spec :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Alan McKinnon schrieb am 12.10.2010 00:26:

> It's none of those apparently. I checked CFLAGS set by the ebuild in the
> emerge log before posting and they looked fine. gcc was last updated a month
> ago and the machine gets updated almost daily.
>
> glibc seems possible but it's a moot point, especially as after investigating
> memory at Mark's suggestion, genlop runs fine now, world updates successfully
> and 2 ./configure errors about aclocal (that I didn't even mention before)
> have gone away.
>
> I should probably start treating this poor machine more like a notebook and
> less like a high performance machine - running flat out almost 24/7 is
> probably outside of it's design spec :-)

Glad the reason for your problem was found. Time make use of Dell's NBD
support then

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:02 on Monday 11 October 2010, Mark Knecht
> did opine thusly:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > Uh-oh.
>> >
>> > genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal
>> > instruction", and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message,
>> > nothing else:
>> >
>> > $ genlop -t portage
>> > Illegal instruction
>> >
>> > Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
>> >
>> > /bin/sh: line 21: *1084 Illegal instruction * * /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
>> > relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/
>> > --html- dir=${installdir}
>> >

>> > I don't really know where to start looking.....
>> > I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
>> > search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless
>> > someone else has a better idea.
>>
>> Alan,
>> * *Consider (if possible - is this a desktop or some in service
>> server?) powering down your machine, reseating your memory DIMMs,
>> powering back up and if possible running memtest86 (assuming it's an
>> x86 machine) and then seeing if the error goes away.
>>
>> * *I've run into this a couple of times when memory problems have appeared.
>

> Yes, that was it - memtest failed almost immediately. It's my notebook, with
> 2 x 2G memory banks - either one in either position works fine. With both,
> memtest fails and always at the same place - step 48 of whatever.
>
> So I guess it's the motherboard and I'll be calling Dell Support in the
> morning. Am I glad the company insists we buy 3 year next-day on-site
> corporate support for all hardware right now? You betcha!

Not glad for the problem but glad I could help.

Best wishes getting it fixed fast and back on your lap.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 00:40 on Tuesday 12 October 2010, Daniel
Pielmeier did opine thusly:

> Alan McKinnon schrieb am 12.10.2010 00:26:
> > It's none of those apparently. I checked CFLAGS set by the ebuild in the
> > emerge log before posting and they looked fine. gcc was last updated a
> > month ago and the machine gets updated almost daily.
> >
> > glibc seems possible but it's a moot point, especially as after
> > investigating memory at Mark's suggestion, genlop runs fine now, world
> > updates successfully and 2 ./configure errors about aclocal (that I
> > didn't even mention before) have gone away.
> >
> > I should probably start treating this poor machine more like a notebook
> > and less like a high performance machine - running flat out almost 24/7
> > is probably outside of it's design spec :-)
>
> Glad the reason for your problem was found. Time make use of Dell's NBD
> support then

:-)

This is what happens with modern reliable hardware - I should have gone for
the memory as the very very first step. It's been so long since I've had to
deal with dodgy memory on anything, it just didn't occur to me....

I was ready to start looking for weird flags using weird cpu instructions.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 00:26 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> glibc seems possible

glibc is my cause of illegal instructions atm, although I haven't tried
memtest...

> I should probably start treating this poor machine more like a notebook and
> less like a high performance machine - running flat out almost 24/7 is
> probably outside of it's design spec :-)

naaah. Flog it. If it can't handle it, it's a design fault

"It ain't over until it's over."
-- Casey Stengel

Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

Apparently, though unproven, at 00:40 on Tuesday 12 October 2010, Daniel
Pielmeier did opine thusly:

:-)

This is what happens with modern reliable hardware - I should have gone for
the memory as the very very first step. It's been so long since I've had to
deal with dodgy memory on anything, it just didn't occur to me....

I was ready to start looking for weird flags using weird cpu instructions.

Glad to know I am not the only one to miss the obvious from time to
time. lol

Dale

:-) :-)