Old 01-31-2008, 02:14 PM
James

Default gentoo on xbox

KH <gentoo-user <at> konstantinhansen.de> writes:

> the current livecd-xbox-20050914.iso.bz2

> The CD is outdated. This is leading to some
> problems when installing gentoo on the xbox.

Here is a link you might find interesting:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2008.0/index.xml

hth,

James

Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 31, 2008 3:21 AM, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the current livecd-xbox-20050914.iso.bz2
> <http://ftp.udc.es/gentoo/experimental/x86/xbox/livecd/livecd-xbox-20050914.iso.bz2>
> is from 01-Oct-2005 05:40. The CD is outdated. This is leading to some
> problems when installing gentoo on the xbox.
>
> I was wandering if anybody knows where to find a documentation how the
> last livecd for the xbox was build and how the upcoming livecd for x86
> will be build. Then it might not be that hard to build a new livecd for
> the xbox.
>
> The problems from the current livecd - as far as I know them -
>
> 1. The livecd will not boot when cromwell 2.40 bios is installed.
> 2. One cannot use a current stage3 tarball. When chrooting this will
> lead to a FATAL - Kernel to old
> 3. The 2006.0 tarball one can use to chroot is still using gcc 3.xxx.
> This is resulting in heavy upgrading work
> 4. You are running in the small pam shadow problem.

I built one of these a couple of years ago. It's probably covered with
dust somewhere in my garage. ;-)

The big issue I recall running into was not Gentoo but it was the BIOS
and booting. The install disk could only work with older XBoxes before
M$ changed the BIOS. After the BIOS change you could install but not
boot.

There was an open source BIOS project called Cromwell but 2 years ago
I talked to the developer and he wasn't active at that time. He might
be now. I don't know.

There are multitudes of hacked BIOS replacements that give XBoxes lots
of extra capabilities. They are, however, somewhat shady in terms of
the legality. Go there as you see fit.

Note that with the early M$ BIOS I had very limited options in terms
of file system types that the hard drive could use, at least on the
root partition. I don't remember if I could make other partition types
after I was in Gentoo.

If I was going to try this again I'd first look for a Knoppix type
boot CD solution to test that the machine can work. If it could I'd
probably stick with that before I went to all the trouble of hacking
the hard drive and trying to make the XBox a computer.

If you Google 'knecht xbox bios' you will likely run into many of the
conversations I had back in 2005 on this subject.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 01-31-2008, 02:57 PM
James

KH <gentoo-user <at> konstantinhansen.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> the current livecd-xbox-20050914.iso.bz2

You may also want to see if the mailing list gentoo-xbox
is active or post to the gentoo-embedded list.

ON the bios side of things, google for openbios and
Linuxbios

hth,
James

Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 31, 2008 7:57 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> KH <gentoo-user <at> konstantinhansen.de> writes:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > the current livecd-xbox-20050914.iso.bz2
>
> You may also want to see if the mailing list gentoo-xbox
> is active or post to the gentoo-embedded list.
>

> ON the bios side of things, google for openbios and
> Linuxbios
>

> hth,
> James

This page seems to give a reasonable overview of the legal vs.
possibly shady version of BIOS for hacking XBoxes. Looks like maybe
there has been some good work done in the last 2 years since I played
with this sort of hardware.

http://www.copying-xbox-games.com/tutorials.php?tutorialid=00000029

Whether any of these BIOS options fully support installing Linux would
require a bit of study.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM
KH

James wrote:

KH <gentoo-user <at> konstantinhansen.de> writes:

the current livecd-xbox-20050914.iso.bz2

The CD is outdated. This is leading to some
problems when installing gentoo on the xbox.

Here is a link you might find interesting:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2008.0/index.xml
hth,

James

Hi, thanks for that great link.

The big issue I recall running into was not Gentoo but it was the BIOS
and booting. The install disk could only work with older XBoxes before
M$ changed the BIOS. After the BIOS change you could install but not
boot.

Note that with the early M$ BIOS I had very limited options in terms
of file system types that the hard drive could use, at least on the
root partition. I don't remember if I could make other partition types
after I was in Gentoo.

If you Google 'knecht xbox bios' you will likely run into many of the
conversations I had back in 2005 on this subject.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Hi, well, I do have an old XBox. I already changed the bios: This is
done by a combination of cromwell and raincoat flasher.
You can run any file system supported by linux. This should not be a
problem any longer.

Thanks for the google hint.

Right now I am having trouble booting my new installed system. This is
because I don't really understand the syntax from linuxboot.cfg Well
I'll search the web for this.

KH

Old 01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 31, 2008 9:22 AM, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Hi, well, I do have an old XBox. I already changed the bios: This is
> done by a combination of cromwell and raincoat flasher.
> You can run any file system supported by linux. This should not be a
> problem any longer.
> Thanks for the google hint.
>
> Right now I am having trouble booting my new installed system. This is
> because I don't really understand the syntax from linuxboot.cfg Well
> I'll search the web for this.

Sounds good, but it also sounds like the problem I ran into when I
used ext3 for my boot partition and found that BIOS couldn't read it.
Remember, BIOS has to have hardware support for whatever partition
grub and the kernel reside on. After the kernel is in memory you can
do much more but that first step is a requirement.

Report back when you get it running. I have a couple of old XBoxes
here that would be nice to make some use of.

FYI - when I did this project it was to use the XBox as a MythTV frontend.

Cheers,
Mark