Old 10-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Stéphane Guedon

Default openrc fails

I have A problem on my gentoo server (but not my gentoo laptop, which is
bizzare as they together have the same release of system basic packages !).

At launching default runlevel, several services appear to be not launched
whereas they are ! This concerns proftpd, mysql and console-kit (and all
services dependant of course).

For exemple, when launching proftpd, openrc says :

* Starting ProFTPD ...
* start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/proftpd is already running
[ !! ]
* ERROR: proftpd failed to start

mysql :
* "/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid" is still present and the process is running.
* Please stop it "kill 5478" maybe ?
[ !! ]
* ERROR: mysql failed to start

I have set :
rc_parallel="NO"
rc_depend_strict="YES"

Anyone have an idea where to start to solve the problem ?

Thanks
--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/

Old 10-10-2010, 01:55 PM
walt

[...]

When you stop the machine do you see any messages about services that fail
to stop? Any reason to suspect that those *.pid files don't get deleted?

You could try booting into single-user mode to see if those *.pid files
really are still there from the previous session.

Do the two machines run the same version of baselayout?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Dale

walt wrote:
On
I have A problem on my gentoo server (but not
my gentoo laptop, which is

bizzare as they together have the same release of system basic packages
!).

At launching default runlevel, several services appear to be not
launched

whereas they are ! This concerns proftpd, mysql and console-kit (and
all

services dependant of course).

For exemple, when launching proftpd, openrc says :

* Starting ProFTPD ...

* * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/proftpd is already running

* [ !! ]

* * ERROR: proftpd failed to start

mysql :

* * "/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid" is still present and the process is
running.

* * Please stop it "kill 5478" maybe ?

* [ !! ]

* * ERROR: mysql failed to start

I have set :

rc_parallel="NO"

rc_depend_strict="YES"

Anyone have an idea where to start to solve the problem ?

When you stop the machine do you see any messages about services that
fail

to stop?* Any reason to suspect that those *.pid files don't get
deleted?

You could try booting into single-user mode to see if those *.pid files

really are still there from the previous session.

Do the two machines run the same version of baselayout?

Does the zap option exist in openrc?* That may get rid of the pid file
too.*

Just a thought.

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 10-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Le Sunday 10 October 2010 15:55:08, walt a écrit :
> On 10/10/2010 03:17 AM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> > I have A problem on my gentoo server (but not my gentoo laptop, which is
> > bizzare as they together have the same release of system basic packages
> > !).
> >
> > At launching default runlevel, several services appear to be not launched
> > whereas they are ! This concerns proftpd, mysql and console-kit (and all
> > services dependant of course).
> >
> > For exemple, when launching proftpd, openrc says :
> >
> > * Starting ProFTPD ...
> >
> > * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/proftpd is already running
> > [ !! ]
> > * ERROR: proftpd failed to start
> >
> > mysql :
> > * "/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid" is still present and the process is
> > running. * Please stop it "kill 5478" maybe ?
> > [ !! ]
> > * ERROR: mysql failed to start
> >
> > I have set :
> > rc_parallel="NO"
> > rc_depend_strict="YES"
> >
> > Anyone have an idea where to start to solve the problem ?
>
> When you stop the machine do you see any messages about services that fail
> to stop? Any reason to suspect that those *.pid files don't get deleted?
>
> You could try booting into single-user mode to see if those *.pid files
> really are still there from the previous session.
>
> Do the two machines run the same version of baselayout?

Thank you for this beginning of help...

The two machine have together baselayout 2.0.1 release.

When rebooting and looking at pid files (boot in interactive mode) in /var/run
before services are started, I don't see anything.
But when I let the computer launch services as the boot process want (by
giving him the hand on with 4 => continue boot process), services are not seen
to be started whereas they are (there's for example a mysqld process whereas
rc-status says it's stopped).

Do I make myself understand ?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 PM

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> walt wrote:
> > On 10/10/2010 03:17 AM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> >> I have A problem on my gentoo server (but not my gentoo laptop, which is
> >> bizzare as they together have the same release of system basic
> >> packages !).
> >>
> >> At launching default runlevel, several services appear to be not
> >> launched
> >> whereas they are ! This concerns proftpd, mysql and console-kit (and all
> >> services dependant of course).
> >>
> >> For exemple, when launching proftpd, openrc says :
> >>
> >> * Starting ProFTPD ...
> >> * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/proftpd is already running
> >> [ !! ]
> >> * ERROR: proftpd failed to start
> >>
> >> mysql :
> >> * "/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid" is still present and the process
> >> is running.
> >> * Please stop it "kill 5478" maybe ?
> >> [ !! ]
> >> * ERROR: mysql failed to start
> >>
> >> I have set :
> >> rc_parallel="NO"
> >> rc_depend_strict="YES"
> >>
> >> Anyone have an idea where to start to solve the problem ?
> >
> > When you stop the machine do you see any messages about services
> > that fail
> > to stop? Any reason to suspect that those *.pid files don't get deleted?
> >
> > You could try booting into single-user mode to see if those *.pid files
> > really are still there from the previous session.
> >
> > Do the two machines run the same version of baselayout?
> >

> Does the zap option exist in openrc? That may get rid of the pid file too.
>
> Just a thought.
I wonder if he has something in two different runlevels because
start-stop says something is already running, not just that the pid file
is there.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Le Sunday 10 October 2010 19:52:59, covici@ccs.covici.com a écrit :
> Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> > walt wrote:

> > > When you stop the machine do you see any messages about services
> > > that fail
> > > to stop? Any reason to suspect that those *.pid files don't get
> > > deleted?
> > >
> > > You could try booting into single-user mode to see if those *.pid files
> > > really are still there from the previous session.
> > >
> > > Do the two machines run the same version of baselayout?
> >
> > Does the zap option exist in openrc? That may get rid of the pid file
> > too.
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> I wonder if he has something in two different runlevels because
> start-stop says something is already running, not just that the pid file
> is there.

This services are put only in default runlevel !

20:14:27 root@einstein:~ # rc-update|grep default
dbus | default
ypbind | default
vixie-cron | default
hald | default
xinetd | default
dovecot | default
smartd | default
ypserv | default
dhcpd | default
nfs | default
proftpd | default
samba | default
sshd | default
cupsd | default
precursor | default
avahi-daemon | default
consolekit | default
ntpd | default
apache2 | default
postfix | default
udev-postmount | default
pdns | default
munin-node | default
mysql | default
local | default

see : only launched one time !

But I think that services putted in two runlevels aren't relaunched...

Old 10-10-2010, 06:25 PM
walt

On 10/10/2010 07:53 AM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:

The two machine have together baselayout 2.0.1 release.

I'm still using the older baselayout, so someone else will know more
than I do. In my version of baselayout, there are several RC debugging
variables in /etc/conf.d/rc. Are they still there in 2.0.1?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Dale

walt wrote:

[...]

Based on a post made later, it would appear that he has more pressing
issues. If it thinks the service is running after a reboot, there is
problems. On my rig, those directories are cleared during boot because
there can't be a service running right after the kernel loads. There
shouldn't be any started yet since it hasn't even got to a runlevel.

Your thoughts would be a logical one tho. If he has a service added to
both boot and default runlevels, then after it gets through the boot
level it will try to start the service a second time. You could be on
to at least one part of the problem. I'm not sure on the part after a
reboot tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Fatih Tümen

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu> wrote:
> Anyone have an idea where to start to solve the problem ?

I am on baselayout1 and had a similar thing with cron couple of days
ago. I noticed I was not receiving mails from my system for the last
three hours. Cron seemed to be running but hang there, sleeping but
not zombie. I think I suspending in the middle of a cron job.
Restarting, zapping the service would not work.

The solution for me was to kill all instances of cron processes and start cron.

--
Fatih

Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Le Sunday 10 October 2010 21:16:28, Fatih Tümen a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu>
wrote:
> > Anyone have an idea where to start to solve the problem ?
>
> I am on baselayout1 and had a similar thing with cron couple of days
> ago. I noticed I was not receiving mails from my system for the last
> three hours. Cron seemed to be running but hang there, sleeping but
> not zombie. I think I suspending in the middle of a cron job.
> Restarting, zapping the service would not work.
>
> The solution for me was to kill all instances of cron processes and start
> cron.
>
> --
> Fatih

That is what I do... but I hope to solve really the problem, as a server
should start automatically...

Mysql is a critic service, as the dns server rely on it ! So, I want it to
work correctly !