Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Tanstaafl

Default Does updating grub require mounting /boot first?

Hello,

I'm ready to update grub, but just realized I'm not sure if I need to
mount /boot before I emerge update it or not...

Anyone?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Andrea Conti

On 09/10/2010 18:30, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm ready to update grub, but just realized I'm not sure if I need to
> mount /boot before I emerge update it or not...

/boot must be mounted, but the ebuild will mount it for you if it is not.

Note however that the ebuild will *not* update the stages installed in
the MBR and/or boot sector: after you're done emerging you have to do
that either manually or by re-running grub-install.

Depending on what changed between the two releases, failure to update
the stages might result in an unbootable system.

HTH,
andrea

Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-10-09 1:48 PM, Andrea Conti wrote:
> On 09/10/2010 18:30, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> I'm ready to update grub, but just realized I'm not sure if I need to
>> mount /boot before I emerge update it or not...

> /boot must be mounted, but the ebuild will mount it for you if it is not.

Thanks - I thought that was the case but couldn't remember (since grub
isn't updated very often)...

> Note however that the ebuild will *not* update the stages installed in
> the MBR and/or boot sector: after you're done emerging you have to do
> that either manually or by re-running grub-install.
>
> Depending on what changed between the two releases, failure to update
> the stages might result in an unbootable system.

Right... thanks...