Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Maciej Grela

Default What network configuration should I use with vbox

2010/10/8 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> I want to install MSWindows in a VM. *I want to be able to use the guest
> MSWindows OS to connect to a website run on apache on the Gentoo host OS on
> the same machine.
>
> What is the recommended network configuration for the VM? *NAT or bridge?
> Anything I should pay particular attention to? *I haven't configured a network
> machine before.

I would suggest bridge mode in this case.

--
Maciej Grela

Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Bill Longman

On 10/08/2010 03:36 PM, Maciej Grela wrote:
> 2010/10/8 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
>> I want to install MSWindows in a VM. I want to be able to use the guest
>> MSWindows OS to connect to a website run on apache on the Gentoo host OS on
>> the same machine.
>>
>> What is the recommended network configuration for the VM? NAT or bridge?
>> Anything I should pay particular attention to? I haven't configured a network
>> machine before.
>
> I would suggest bridge mode in this case.

I second the motion to use bridge mode. All in favor, say "aye".

Old 10-09-2010, 02:29 AM
James Wall

On 10/08/2010 05:47 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 03:36 PM, Maciej Grela wrote:
>> 2010/10/8 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
>>> I want to install MSWindows in a VM. I want to be able to use the guest
>>> MSWindows OS to connect to a website run on apache on the Gentoo host OS on
>>> the same machine.
>>>
>>> What is the recommended network configuration for the VM? NAT or bridge?
>>> Anything I should pay particular attention to? I haven't configured a network
>>> machine before.
>>
>> I would suggest bridge mode in this case.
>
> I second the motion to use bridge mode. All in favor, say "aye".

Aye! The bridged mode will give the VM a LAN address from DHCP (provided
that your LAN uses DHCP) address that can then be used like a regular
machine.

James
--
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large

Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Mick

On 9 October 2010 03:29, James Wall <wallservices@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 05:47 PM, Bill Longman wrote:

>>> I would suggest bridge mode in this case.
>>
>> I second the motion to use bridge mode. All in favor, say "aye".
>>
> Aye! The bridged mode will give the VM a LAN address from DHCP (provided
> that your LAN uses DHCP) address that can then be used like a regular
> machine.

Nice, thanks.

Mick