FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Daniel Iliev
 
Default Strange Xorg behaviour, not (always) loading nvidia module

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:18:40 +0100
Pupino <pupinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/1/31, Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:56:30 +0100
> > Pupino <pupinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > > All you have to do in order to get the proprietery nvidia drv
> > > > working is:
> > > >
> > > > 1) make sure the open src nvidia drv is not built in-kernel or
> > > > as kernel module:
> > > >
> > > > ========
> > > > Location:
> > > > -> Device Drivers
> > > > -> Graphics support
> > > > -> Support for frame buffer devices (FB [=n])
> > > > -> nVidia Framebuffer Support = [N]
> > > > ========
> > > >
> > > > 2) emerge nvidia-drivers
> > > > 3) make sure /etc/X11/xorg.conf has >Driver "nvidia"<, not "nv"
> > > > in section "Device"
> > > > 4) eselect opengl set nvidia
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help Daniel, but what you say hasn't fixed my
> > > problem... I had framebuffer support in the kernel config, but not
> > > the nvidia fb support, I've tried to remove it at all, but still
> > > doesn't work... the other steps you have listed have already been
> > > done. In fact if I type /etc/init.d/xdm restart after boot the
> > > driver is loaded correctly and all works...
> > >
> > > Davide
> >
> >
> > No, AFAIK, only the open source "nv" frame buffer (FB) driver can't
> > work together with the driver from Nvidia. You can have another
> > (e.g. VESA) FB support along with the proprietary driver.
> >
> > Have you re-emerged "nvidia-drivers" after you recompiled the
> > kernel? If you use binary storage for the compiled packages, remove
> > the nvidia-drivers from there before emerging. I had such a problem:
> > portage extracts the backup package without really rebuilding the
> > driver (perhaps because it sees the same versions and USE flags).
> >
> > So, you could try:
> >
> > rm $PORTDIR/packages/All/nvidia*
> > emerge nvidia-drivers
> > eselect opengl nvidia
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Daniel
> > --
> > gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
> >
> >
>
> Yes, i've got the vesa fb driver and not the nv one...
> fot the binary storage, I don't use that and however I've tried to
> recompile both xorg-server and nvidia-drivers... but without result...
> Thanks the same however!
>
> Davide



The init sequence here is saying something like:

"udev is loading module nvidia...[OK]".

It is in the very beginning and if remove xdm from the init the
nvidia module is still loaded although unused. So, you could try to
remove xdm from your init, reboot and check if nvidia is loaded. If it
is absent from the output of "lsmod" you could try to make it load
autamatically by:

"echo nvidia >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6"

...or even better - check if there isn't something wrong with udev.

Other than this, I'm running out of ideas.


--
Best regards,
Daniel
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Pupino
 
Default Strange Xorg behaviour, not (always) loading nvidia module

2008/1/31, Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:18:40 +0100
> Pupino <pupinux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2008/1/31, Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@gmail.com>:
> > > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:56:30 +0100
> > > Pupino <pupinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > > All you have to do in order to get the proprietery nvidia drv
> > > > > working is:
> > > > >
> > > > > 1) make sure the open src nvidia drv is not built in-kernel or
> > > > > as kernel module:
> > > > >
> > > > > ========
> > > > > Location:
> > > > > -> Device Drivers
> > > > > -> Graphics support
> > > > > -> Support for frame buffer devices (FB [=n])
> > > > > -> nVidia Framebuffer Support = [N]
> > > > > ========
> > > > >
> > > > > 2) emerge nvidia-drivers
> > > > > 3) make sure /etc/X11/xorg.conf has >Driver "nvidia"<, not "nv"
> > > > > in section "Device"
> > > > > 4) eselect opengl set nvidia
> > > >
> > > > Thanks for the help Daniel, but what you say hasn't fixed my
> > > > problem... I had framebuffer support in the kernel config, but not
> > > > the nvidia fb support, I've tried to remove it at all, but still
> > > > doesn't work... the other steps you have listed have already been
> > > > done. In fact if I type /etc/init.d/xdm restart after boot the
> > > > driver is loaded correctly and all works...
> > > >
> > > > Davide
> > >
> > >
> > > No, AFAIK, only the open source "nv" frame buffer (FB) driver can't
> > > work together with the driver from Nvidia. You can have another
> > > (e.g. VESA) FB support along with the proprietary driver.
> > >
> > > Have you re-emerged "nvidia-drivers" after you recompiled the
> > > kernel? If you use binary storage for the compiled packages, remove
> > > the nvidia-drivers from there before emerging. I had such a problem:
> > > portage extracts the backup package without really rebuilding the
> > > driver (perhaps because it sees the same versions and USE flags).
> > >
> > > So, you could try:
> > >
> > > rm $PORTDIR/packages/All/nvidia*
> > > emerge nvidia-drivers
> > > eselect opengl nvidia
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Daniel
> > > --
> > > gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Yes, i've got the vesa fb driver and not the nv one...
> > fot the binary storage, I don't use that and however I've tried to
> > recompile both xorg-server and nvidia-drivers... but without result...
> > Thanks the same however!
> >
> > Davide
>
>
>
> The init sequence here is saying something like:
>
> "udev is loading module nvidia...[OK]".
>
> It is in the very beginning and if remove xdm from the init the
> nvidia module is still loaded although unused. So, you could try to
> remove xdm from your init, reboot and check if nvidia is loaded. If it
> is absent from the output of "lsmod" you could try to make it load
> autamatically by:
>
> "echo nvidia >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6"
>
> ...or even better - check if there isn't something wrong with udev.
>
> Other than this, I'm running out of ideas.
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Daniel
> --
> gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>
>

udev loads correctly the nvidia module with and without xdm in the
default runlevel
I don't know what to think about this...
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org