Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
"Budd, Tracy"

Default upgraded video card from geforce 6600 to geforce 8600...

I recompiled nvidia-drivers, but when I tried running X, I got a blank
screen.

Couldn't get back to the console.

I suspect this is something simple, but I don't know what it is.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"

Re-post?

--
Ricardo Saffi Marques
Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)

Website: http://www.rsaffi.com

Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008, Budd, Tracy wrote:
> I recompiled nvidia-drivers, but when I tried running X, I got a blank
> screen.
>
> Couldn't get back to the console.
>
> I suspect this is something simple, but I don't know what it is.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

any information is appreciated.

Usually, you don't need to do anything when switching the cards.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
"Budd, Tracy"

Thank you for the reply.

That is what I thought too, which is why I am confused.

I get a "no signal found" message on the monitor when I run X now.
Never had any problem with the old card.
Don't seem to have any graphics problems in windoz either.
Very puzzling.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008, Budd, Tracy wrote:

could you please post your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log?

and make sure that there aren't any 'backup' xorg.confs in /root or /tmp ...

This is my xorg.conf for a 8600 and a 1680x1050 tft:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/lib64/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "evdev"
# Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
# Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
# Option "Buttons" "14"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Resolution" "800"

Option "Name" "Logitech, Inc. MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse"
Option "evBits" "+1-2"
Option "keyBits" "~272-287"
Option "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "evdev"
Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM
"Budd, Tracy"

Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Mick

On Thursday 31 January 2008, Budd, Tracy wrote:
> [...]

Also, earth yourself on the chassis, pull the card out and push it back in
fully. It could just be a case of poor contact in the slot?
Mick

Old 02-01-2008, 12:03 PM
"Budd, Tracy"

I got home and realized that I don't know how to get the xorg.conf file
off of that machine without running an email client from X, so I looked
through the Xorg.0.log file and saw that it contained no errors, but it
died trying to load glx. Do I have to recompile glx or something?

I can handcopy the xorg.conf to another machine, so I could do that this
weekend, if there is not something obvious from the glx failure.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 PM
"Budd, Tracy"

Wouldn't it not work in windoz as well if the card were improperly
seated?
Worth a shot though.
Thank you.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 01 February 2008 13:06:48 Budd, Tracy wrote:

> Wouldn't it not work in windoz as well if the card were improperly
> seated?

You people would be an awful lot easier to read if you would just trim what
you're replying to. It isn't reasonable to expect us to wade through four
pages of old stuff to find the one line you've added.

--
Rgds
Peter