Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Mike Diehl

Default Can't find /dev/md3 on new install

Hi all,

I'm building a new server, only this time, I'm using RAID1 for the boot, swap,
and root partitions. (sda and sdb)

I've gottent the install complete, but when I reboot, fsck.ext3 says that
can't find /dev/md3, which is my root partition.

I "borrowed" a .config file from another server where RAID1 is working, so I
know I've got RAID in the kernel. I did the prescribed mknod in /dev/ to
create the md device nodes.

I also did the mdadm --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf.

What could I be missing?

--

Take care and have fun,
Mike Diehl.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Thursday 07 October 2010, Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building a new server, only this time, I'm using RAID1 for the boot,
> swap, and root partitions. (sda and sdb)
>
> I've gottent the install complete, but when I reboot, fsck.ext3 says that
> can't find /dev/md3, which is my root partition.
>
> I "borrowed" a .config file from another server where RAID1 is working, so
> I know I've got RAID in the kernel. I did the prescribed mknod in /dev/
> to create the md device nodes.
>
> I also did the mdadm --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf.
>
> What could I be missing?

mdadm changed default superblock version. No autoassembly anymore. You need an
initrd (grrr).

Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 07.10.2010 22:06, schrieb Mike Diehl:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building a new server, only this time, I'm using RAID1 for the boot, swap,
> and root partitions. (sda and sdb)
>
> I've gottent the install complete, but when I reboot, fsck.ext3 says that
> can't find /dev/md3, which is my root partition.
>
> I "borrowed" a .config file from another server where RAID1 is working, so I
> know I've got RAID in the kernel. I did the prescribed mknod in /dev/ to
> create the md device nodes.
>
> I also did the mdadm --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf.
>
> What could I be missing?

You can try to explicitly specify the RAID to the kernel instead of
relying on autodetection. Add the following line to your kernel
parameter list:
raid=noautodetect md=3,/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1 root=/dev/md3

the first parameter on md= is the number of the md node. So if you want
it as /dev/md3, you specify the 3. The RAID level is automatically detected.

Other then that: Make sure the mdm subsystem is really compiled into the
kernel and not a module.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Mike Diehl

On Thursday 07 October 2010 2:17:11 pm Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010, Mike Diehl wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm building a new server, only this time, I'm using RAID1 for the boot,
> > swap, and root partitions. (sda and sdb)
> >
> > I've gottent the install complete, but when I reboot, fsck.ext3 says that
> > can't find /dev/md3, which is my root partition.
> >
> > I "borrowed" a .config file from another server where RAID1 is working,
> > so I know I've got RAID in the kernel. I did the prescribed mknod in
> > /dev/ to create the md device nodes.
> >
> > I also did the mdadm --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf.
> >
> > What could I be missing?
>
> mdadm changed default superblock version. No autoassembly anymore. You need
> an initrd (grrr).

I changed the partition type to 0xfd and used meta version .90. This should
have been good enough to avoid needing an initrd... Right?

I HATE initrd's....

--

Take care and have fun,
Mike Diehl.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Thursday 07 October 2010, Mike Diehl wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010 2:17:11 pm Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 October 2010, Mike Diehl wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm building a new server, only this time, I'm using RAID1 for the
> > > boot, swap, and root partitions. (sda and sdb)
> > >
> > > I've gottent the install complete, but when I reboot, fsck.ext3 says
> > > that can't find /dev/md3, which is my root partition.
> > >
> > > I "borrowed" a .config file from another server where RAID1 is working,
> > > so I know I've got RAID in the kernel. I did the prescribed mknod in
> > > /dev/ to create the md device nodes.
> > >
> > > I also did the mdadm --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf.
> > >
> > > What could I be missing?
> >
> > mdadm changed default superblock version. No autoassembly anymore. You
> > need an initrd (grrr).
>
> I changed the partition type to 0xfd and used meta version .90. This
> should have been good enough to avoid needing an initrd... Right?
>
> I HATE initrd's....

yeah, that should do the trick.