Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Dale

Default qt3support USE flag. Is it needed now?

Hi,

I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I need
qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. I run
into blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just curious if I
can get rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4 installed. No more
KDE3 left that I know of.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 21:40 on Thursday 07 October 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I need
> qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. I run
> into blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just curious if I
> can get rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4 installed. No more
> KDE3 left that I know of.

By and large you can't do without it. It supplies a Qt3 interface from Qt4 so
that Qt3 apps can run on Qt4.

Note that it has nothing to do with KDE per se and everything to do with Qt.
You likely have quite a few Qt apps that are not from KDE (skype comes to mind
but I forget which Qt it uses nowadays).

Try remove it by all means. If the ebuilds don't whinge it's worth a try. What
have you got to lose? Compile Qt (about an hour), revdep-rebuild (another hour
maybe) and some testing. BOINC will lose out on some cycles but there's enough
users out there to take up your slack :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 21:40 on Thursday 07 October 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I need
> qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. I run
> into blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just curious if I
> can get rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4 installed. No more
> KDE3 left that I know of.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Oh, one more thing. qt3support adds such a miniscule amount of code and build
time that it probably isn't worth worrying about.

Now when akonadi hits kdepim and is asserted to work - well that's somethign
you will need to pay attention to and spend time on. I don't think qt3support
is in that class to be honest ... :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I need
qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. I run
into blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just curious if I
can get rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4 installed. No more
KDE3 left that I know of.

You need it only if an application needs it. So you will know if you
need or not without having to ask us, because if you emerge an app that
needs it, you'll get a blocker.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question. *I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. *Do I need
> qt3support anymore? *I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. *I run into
> blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. *I'm just curious if I can get
> rid of this USE flag now. *I only have KDE4 installed. *No more KDE3 left
> that I know of.

Going along with what Alan said. qt3support does not use Qt 3 at all.
It just puts something like a Qt 3-compatible API into Qt 4, to make
porting Qt 3 to Qt 4 apps easier. It is largely insignifcant to you
(since it's not pulling in qt3 packages).

If you have any packages that require this USE flag, their ebuild will
require this USE flag. So disable it, emerge --deep --newuse world and
see if it complains. If it does, re-enable and continue life with
qt3support as if nothing ever happened.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Apparently, though unproven, at 21:40 on Thursday 07 October 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

Hi,

I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I need
qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. I run
into blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just curious if I
can get rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4 installed. No more
KDE3 left that I know of.

By and large you can't do without it. It supplies a Qt3 interface from Qt4 so
that Qt3 apps can run on Qt4.

Nope, Qt3 apps can not run on Qt4. qt3support is for Qt4 apps, not Qt3
apps.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 22:03 on Thursday 07 October 2010, Nikos
Chantziaras did opine thusly:

> On 10/07/2010 10:51 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 21:40 on Thursday 07 October 2010, Dale
> > did
> >
> > opine thusly:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I need
> >> qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. I run
> >> into blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just curious if I
> >> can get rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4 installed. No more
> >> KDE3 left that I know of.
> >
> > By and large you can't do without it. It supplies a Qt3 interface from
> > Qt4 so that Qt3 apps can run on Qt4.
>
> Nope, Qt3 apps can not run on Qt4. qt3support is for Qt4 apps, not Qt3
> apps.

Arggghhhhh, yes, of course.

Thinko happened here. Or maybe a sleepo (what you get with too little sleep).

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 07 October 2010 20:40:32 Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I
> need qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support.
> I run into blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just
> curious if I can get rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4
> installed. No more KDE3 left that I know of.

I have KDE-4.5.2 here. I get this:

$ USE=-qt3support emerge -upDvN world

Calculating dependencies ... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy ">=x11-
libs/qt-sql-4.6.3:4[qt3support]".
!!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-libs/qt-sql-4.6.3-r2 (Change USE: +qt3support)
(dependency required by "kde-base/kfilereplace-4.5.2" [installed])
(dependency required by "kde-base/kdewebdev-meta-4.5.2" [installed])
(dependency required by "@selected")
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])

So it looks as though I at least can't get rid of it.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:

I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I need
qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. I run into
blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just curious if I can get
rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4 installed. No more KDE3 left
that I know of.

Going along with what Alan said. qt3support does not use Qt 3 at all.
It just puts something like a Qt 3-compatible API into Qt 4, to make
porting Qt 3 to Qt 4 apps easier. It is largely insignifcant to you
(since it's not pulling in qt3 packages).

If you have any packages that require this USE flag, their ebuild will
require this USE flag. So disable it, emerge --deep --newuse world and
see if it complains. If it does, re-enable and continue life with
qt3support as if nothing ever happened.

Just picking the last message to reply to so this is for everyone who
has chimed in so far.

I may remove the USE flag and just see what blows up. I may copy over
some binaries so that I can just use -k and not have to wait on the
compiles. I would think if I remove it that something would pitch all
holy hell about it if it has to have it. I'm sure it would be caught at
some point and I would know it then for sure.

I'm not sure if I have anything on here that must have qt3support. Is
there a way to know for sure? Maybe some obscure command that I am not
familiar with?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Dale

Peter Humphrey wrote:

[...]

It also looks like I can't get rid of it. lol I guess it will have to
stay, for now anyway.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)