FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM
James
 
Default text in xterm

Folks,

I have an interesting problem -- not sure what's causing it.

Using xfce4 + compiz -- nothing too fancy. When I open an xterm and
start typing, I start getting 'artifacts' (specifically green lines
between the various letters I'm trying) in my xterm.

The only way to "fix" this is to either:

(a) move the window (doesn't solve the problem if I start typing again
in the terminal)
(b) resize the window (this will solve the problem for all text
present and future entered in terminal)
(c) ...uhmm, nothing else

I thought it was a font size problem -- my Xdefaults is configured to
have some pretty tiny fonts.

XTerm*faceName: Monospace
XTerm*faceSize: 10
!XTerm*faceSize: 9

Modifying the font size, however, did not resolve the issue. The
problem persists.

Thoughts / ideas? This is happening on all the computers I've recently
built, not just this one.

-j
 
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Adam Carter
 
Default text in xterm

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:57 AM, James <jtp@nc.rr.com> wrote:

Folks,



I have an interesting problem -- not sure what's causing it.



Using xfce4 + compiz -- nothing too fancy. When I open an xterm and

start typing, I start getting 'artifacts' (specifically green lines

between the various letters I'm trying) in my xterm.

What video hardware and driver are you using?
 
Old 10-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default text in xterm

On 2010-10-07, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:57 AM, James <jtp@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I have an interesting problem -- not sure what's causing it.
>>
>> Using xfce4 + compiz -- nothing too fancy. When I open an xterm and
>> start typing, I start getting 'artifacts' (specifically green lines
>> between the various letters I'm trying) in my xterm.
>
> What video hardware and driver are you using?

I used to see (different) rendering artifacts when using the ATI fglrx
"blob" driver and aterm -- but not other drivers nor other programs. I
switched to the radeon driver, and haven't had any issues since.
Actually, the last time I tried the fglrx driver, I think the problem
had gone away.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... I want to perform
at cranial activities with
gmail.com Tuesday Weld!!
 
Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 PM
James
 
Default text in xterm

Using various different hardware configurations -- my laptop has a
Intel 915GM. The same thing happens on my iMac which has an nVidia
card.

I tried to take a screenshot of the issue, but the artifacts do NOT
appear in the screenshot.

-james

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:57 AM, James <jtp@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I have an interesting problem -- not sure what's causing it.
>>
>> Using xfce4 + compiz -- nothing too fancy. When I open an xterm and
>> start typing, I start getting 'artifacts' (specifically green lines
>> between the various letters I'm trying) in my xterm.
>
> What video hardware and driver are you using?
>
 
Old 10-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Willie Wong
 
Default text in xterm

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 09:29:36PM +0000, James wrote:
> Using various different hardware configurations -- my laptop has a
> Intel 915GM. The same thing happens on my iMac which has an nVidia
> card.
>
> I tried to take a screenshot of the issue, but the artifacts do NOT
> appear in the screenshot.
>

Hum, does http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150390
help? (It suggests that it is a problem with Compiz 0.8.6 against
nVidia and Intel drivers, and a work around is to downgrade to 0.8.4.)

Cheers,

W
--
Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton
 
Old 10-11-2010, 03:41 PM
James
 
Default text in xterm

This is actually precisely how the artifacts appear on my screen. I
will try a downgrade and report back the results.

I wonder if there's a compiz bug out there to report this problem.

-james

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@math.princeton.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 09:29:36PM +0000, James wrote:
>> Using various different hardware configurations -- my laptop has a
>> Intel 915GM. The same thing happens on my iMac which has an nVidia
>> card.
>>
>> I tried to take a screenshot of the issue, but the artifacts do NOT
>> appear in the screenshot.
>>
>
> Hum, does http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150390
> help? (It suggests that it is a problem with Compiz 0.8.6 against
> nVidia and Intel drivers, and a work around is to downgrade to 0.8.4.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> W
> --
> Willie W. Wong * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * wwong@math.princeton.edu
> Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
> * * * * et vice versa * ~~~ *I. Newton
>
>
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org