Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Firefox and Thunderbird spell-checker is offering too many languages

The list of spell-check languages offered by Firefox and Thunderbird
looks like this:

English (AU)
English (CA)
English (GB)
English (GB-oed)
English (NZ)
English (US)
English (ZA)
German (DE)
Greek (GR)

All this English stuff needs to do away, I only want English (US). Is
there a way to do that?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Dale

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
The list of spell-check languages offered by Firefox and Thunderbird
looks like this:

English (AU)
English (CA)
English (GB)
English (GB-oed)
English (NZ)
English (US)
English (ZA)
German (DE)
Greek (GR)

All this English stuff needs to do away, I only want English (US). Is
there a way to do that?

I have this set in my make.conf.

LINGUAS="en_US en"
LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"

Do you have something close to this as well? I can't think of anything
else at the moment. Maybe someone else will post a different idea.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

The list of spell-check languages offered by Firefox and Thunderbird
looks like this:

English (AU)
English (CA)
English (GB)
English (GB-oed)
English (NZ)
English (US)
English (ZA)
German (DE)
Greek (GR)

All this English stuff needs to do away, I only want English (US). Is
there a way to do that?

I have this set in my make.conf.

LINGUAS="en_US en"
LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"

Do you have something close to this as well? I can't think of anything
else at the moment. Maybe someone else will post a different idea.

No, that's not it. I have LINGUAS="en_US en" in my make.conf too. I
found out that Firefox now uses hunspell for spell checking. Maybe that
has something to do with it. So I guess the question now should be how
to tell hunspell to only offer the US-English dictionary.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM
David Relson

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 06:55:18 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 10/06/2010 09:58 PM, Dale wrote:
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> The list of spell-check languages offered by Firefox and
> >> Thunderbird looks like this:
> >>
> >> English (AU)
> >> English (CA)
> >> English (GB)
> >> English (GB-oed)
> >> English (NZ)
> >> English (US)
> >> English (ZA)
> >> German (DE)
> >> Greek (GR)
> >>
> >> All this English stuff needs to do away, I only want English (US).
> >> Is there a way to do that?
> >>

> > I have this set in my make.conf.
> >
> > LINGUAS="en_US en"
> > LANG="en_US"
> > LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
> >
> > Do you have something close to this as well? I can't think of
> > anything else at the moment. Maybe someone else will post a
> > different idea.
>
> No, that's not it. I have LINGUAS="en_US en" in my make.conf too. I
> found out that Firefox now uses hunspell for spell checking. Maybe
> that has something to do with it. So I guess the question now should
> be how to tell hunspell to only offer the US-English dictionary.

run "eix -e hunspell" to show the languages supported/activated for
hunspell

Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 07 October 2010 09:50:57 David Relson wrote:

> run "eix -e hunspell" to show the languages supported/activated for
> hunspell

I was interested in this too.

$ eix -e hunspell
[i] app-text/hunspell (1.2.11@03/08/10): Hunspell spell checker - an
improved replacement for myspell in OOo.

No mention of dictionaries.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.