Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Olaf Krause

Default Where should i ask Gentoo/Xen/hardware questions?

Hello,

first: where should I ask the following question?

We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo
Xen-kernels as Dom0 and DomU.

Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
* HP Proliant DL380 G4
* HP Proliant DL380 G6

Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and
starts operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The
kernel seems not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).

I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as
described here:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5

Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.

I use the iso images to boot the system initially, initialize the SCSI
disks with fdsik and mkfs... and then mount the SCSI drives
(/dev/cciss/...), copy a working tarball-image, populate the filsystem
and then use the grub shell make it bootable.

Attached is a screen shot with the error message.

Best regards Olaf

Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Maciej Grela

2010/10/6 Olaf Krause <gentoo_ac@okit.de>:
> Hello,
>
> first: where should I ask the following question?
>
> We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo Xen-kernels
> as Dom0 and DomU.
> Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
> * HP Proliant DL380 G4
> * HP Proliant DL380 G6
>
> Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and starts
> operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The kernel seems
> not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).
>
> I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as described
> here:
> *http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5
>
> Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
> install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.
>
> I use the iso images to boot the system initially, initialize the SCSI disks
> with fdsik and mkfs... and then mount the SCSI drives (/dev/cciss/...), copy
> a working tarball-image, populate the filsystem and then use the grub shell
> make it bootable.
>
> Attached is a screen shot with the error message.

Is this screenshot from a domU or dom0 ? If it's from a domU then I
think that in Xen you have a different driver than cciss for the
disks.

If it's from a dom0, are you sure that you have the cciss driver
built-in instead of a module ? From the screenshot it seems that it's
not present at the point the kernel is booting.

--
Maciej Grela

Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Adam Carter

We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo Xen-kernels as Dom0 and DomU.

Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:

* HP Proliant DL380 G4

* HP Proliant DL380 G6

Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and starts operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The kernel seems not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).

I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as described here:

*http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5

Did you remember to build the filesystem drivers into the kernel (ie not as a module) and follow the directions on building the hardware drivers into the kernel as well?

Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.

If /proc/config.gz exists when you boot from that image you could compare that to the .config file that you're using to see what the differences are.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Olaf Krause

[...]

It is the screenshot of the Dom0. And yes - also for me the driver seems
not to be available during boot time. But i am sure to have it build in.
And on older hardware (G3 - generation 3 HP hardware) the same kernel
seems to work, mounting the cciss devices.

Here is what mount says in the same kernel on a G3 hardware (sorry for
the linebreaks):

----
orion ~ # mount
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/cciss/c0d1p1 on /mnt/xen2 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
---

Should I try to fix the Xen-Kernel from Gentoo with some HP driver
source code? Or could it be a completly other issue?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Olaf Krause

We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo
Xen-kernels as Dom0 and DomU.
Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
* HP Proliant DL380 G4
* HP Proliant DL380 G6

Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and
starts operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The
kernel seems not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).

I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as
described here:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5

Did you remember to build the filesystem drivers into the kernel (ie not
as a module) and follow the directions on building the hardware drivers
into the kernel as well?

Yes. It is build into the kernel - not as modules.

Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.

If /proc/config.gz exists when you boot from that image you could
compare that to the .config file that you're using to see what the
differences are.

I tried it. I spend much time on it. I also tried to use the config of
the allround boot disks (in /proc/config.gz of the running livecd
system). I tried to figure out differences and also tried to copy it to
the Xen-Kernel and then started 'make menuconfig' for the Xen kernel to
fix dependencies cleared in 'make menuconfig'. It leads to kernels that

* cannot be build due to compile errors,
* or kernels that run perfectly on G3 (generation 3 HP hardware) but not
on G4 or G6.

Maybe this is an driver version issue for the 'Compaq SMART2 support'
and the 'Compaq Smart Array 5xxx support'.
But fixing a kernel, delivered by portage, is completly new to me. So i
tried to ship around this...

Would you suggest to try this way? Should I try to fix the Xen-Kernel

Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Maciej Grela

2010/10/6 Olaf Krause <gentoo_ac@okit.de>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> first: where should I ask the following question?
>>>
>>> We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo
>>> Xen-kernels
>>> as Dom0 and DomU.
>>> Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
>>> * HP Proliant DL380 G4
>>> * HP Proliant DL380 G6
>>>
>>> Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and
>>> starts
>>> operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The kernel
>>> seems
>>> not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).
>>>
>>> I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as described
>>> here:
>>> *http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5
>>>
>>> Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
>>> install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.
>>>
>>> I use the iso images to boot the system initially, initialize the SCSI
>>> disks
>>> with fdsik and mkfs... and then mount the SCSI drives (/dev/cciss/...),
>>> copy
>>> a working tarball-image, populate the filsystem and then use the grub
>>> shell
>>> make it bootable.
>>>
>>> Attached is a screen shot with the error message.
>>>

>> Is this screenshot from a domU or dom0 ? If it's from a domU then I
>> think that in Xen you have a different driver than cciss for the
>> disks.
>>
>> If it's from a dom0, are you sure that you have the cciss driver
>> built-in instead of a module ? From the screenshot it seems that it's
>> not present at the point the kernel is booting.
>
> It is the screenshot of the Dom0. And yes - also for me the driver seems not
> to be available during boot time. But i am sure to have it build in. And on
> older hardware (G3 - generation 3 HP hardware) the same kernel seems to
> work, mounting the cciss devices.
>
> Here is what mount says in the same kernel on a G3 hardware (sorry for the
> linebreaks):
> ----
> orion ~ # mount
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=10240k,mode=755)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 on /mnt/xen2 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
> shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
> ---

Maybe the cciss driver doesn't have your controller on the PCI devices
list. This is unlikely but would give the symptoms you are describing.
Please post the output of 'lspci -k' and 'lspci -n' commands. Which
kernel version are you trying to run ?

--
Maciej Grela

Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Adam Carter

If /proc/config.gz exists when you boot from that image you could

compare that to the .config file that you're using to see what the

differences are.

I tried it. I spend much time on it.
For me the only way is to use a GUI diff program like Meld, otherwise i find it too difficult to notice the differences.
*
I also tried to use the config of the allround boot disks (in /proc/config.gz of the running livecd system). I tried to figure out differences and also tried to copy it to the Xen-Kernel and then started 'make menuconfig' for the Xen kernel to fix dependencies cleared in 'make menuconfig'. It leads to kernels that

* cannot be build due to compile errors,

* or kernels that run perfectly on G3 (generation 3 HP hardware) but not on G4 or G6.

Maybe this is an driver version issue for the 'Compaq SMART2 support'

and the 'Compaq Smart Array 5xxx support'.

But fixing a kernel, delivered by portage, is completly new to me. So i tried to ship around this...

Would you suggest to try this way? Should I try to fix the Xen-Kernel from Gentoo with some HP driver source code? Or could it be a completly other issue?

I'd be very confident that the driver code will be identical in xen kernel to regular kernels of the same version. You could verify this by running md5sum against the modules source codes. If they are the same there's no need to worry about the driver code.

Put your xen .config and the config from the boot disk that works up somewhere public - maybe we can spot the problem?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Gaston

于 2010-10-6 17:40, Olaf Krause 写道:

[...]

I think you have write the name of (/dev/cciss/...)uncorrectly。when I
install Gentoo today, I have a problem,the grub is ok,but when i want to
log in Gentoo,the system says:"the filesystem is not fixed",and "cannot
open device"/dev/hda7" or unknown-block(3,0)",and that the Gentoo boot
images do work,using install-x86-minimal-20100928.iso. what's wrong with
it ,because when i modify fstab,i write /dev/hda7 instead of
sda7,however when i using fdisk -l , it is /dev/hda7.

i suggest you to check the name of the new device
I am chinese,my English is poor,speak it in chinese followed
我认为*把(/dev/cciss/...)的名*写错了,今天我刚装的Gento o,我遇到了相
似的问题,当我重启系统的时候,能 进入 Grub,但是,却进不了Gentoo,错误
信息就是"the filesystem is not fixed",and "cannot open device"/dev/hda7"
or unknown-block(3,0),后来我仔细检查,改了一下f stab,刚开始写的/dev
/hda7 改成了/dev/sda7,结果没问题了,可是,用fsdisk -l显示的是/dev
/hda7,在这之前我也是用minicd能够*常 入系统,希望对*有用