Old 10-03-2010, 02:29 PM
walt

Default vlc-1.1.4 won't shoutcast?

On 10/03/2010 05:05 AM, Mick wrote:

It doesn't show up in the menu anymore. The previous version was working
fine. Am I missing some crafty USE flag?

There is a 'shout' useflag. Do you have it unset?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Vincent-Xavier JUMEL

Le 03 octobre à 14:05 Mick a écrit
> It doesn't show up in the menu anymore. The previous version was working
> fine. Am I missing some crafty USE flag?
If you're using vlc 1.1.0 or above, you should have read
http://www.videolan.org/press/2010-1.html which informs about the
situation and why the VLC team had had to removed it.

Vx
--
Rejoignez les 5439 adhérents de l'April <http://www.april.org/adherer>
Parinux, logiciel libre à Paris : <http://www.parinux.org>

Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Mick

On Sunday 03 October 2010 15:29:32 walt wrote:
> On 10/03/2010 05:05 AM, Mick wrote:
> > It doesn't show up in the menu anymore. The previous version was working
> > fine. Am I missing some crafty USE flag?
>
> There is a 'shout' useflag. Do you have it unset?

Thanks Walter, I have it set, but no shoutcast.

From Vincent-Xavier's link I can see that vlc had to remove this functionality
because AOL (damn them) bitched about it.
Mick

Old 10-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Mick

On Sunday 03 October 2010 15:41:43 Vincent-Xavier JUMEL wrote:
> Le 03 octobre à 14:05 Mick a écrit
>
> > It doesn't show up in the menu anymore. The previous version was working
> > fine. Am I missing some crafty USE flag?
>
> If you're using vlc 1.1.0 or above, you should have read
> http://www.videolan.org/press/2010-1.html which informs about the
> situation and why the VLC team had had to removed it.

Thanks, I can see why now. The page mentions icecast as an alternative and
the fact that this is available as an Addon for vlc, but can't find anywhere
how to add it on ...

Mick

Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Dale

Mick wrote:

On Sunday 03 October 2010 15:41:43 Vincent-Xavier JUMEL wrote:

Le 03 octobre à 14:05 Mick a écrit

It doesn't show up in the menu anymore. The previous version was working
fine. Am I missing some crafty USE flag?

If you're using vlc 1.1.0 or above, you should have read
http://www.videolan.org/press/2010-1.html which informs about the
situation and why the VLC team had had to removed it.

Thanks, I can see why now. The page mentions icecast as an alternative and
the fact that this is available as an Addon for vlc, but can't find anywhere
how to add it on ...

I know nothing about vlc or icecast but I did google and find this.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/VLC/StreamingIcecast

It may help, it may not. Let's hope. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Mick

On Sunday 03 October 2010 17:29:45 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 October 2010 15:41:43 Vincent-Xavier JUMEL wrote:
> >> Le 03 octobre à 14:05 Mick a écrit

> >> If you're using vlc 1.1.0 or above, you should have read
> >> http://www.videolan.org/press/2010-1.html which informs about the
> >> situation and why the VLC team had had to removed it.
> >
> > Thanks, I can see why now. The page mentions icecast as an alternative
> > and the fact that this is available as an Addon for vlc, but can't find
> > anywhere how to add it on ...
>
> I know nothing about vlc or icecast but I did google and find this.
>
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/VLC/StreamingIcecast
>
> It may help, it may not. Let's hope. ;-)

Thanks Dale, very kind of you to look into this for me. I actually want to
stream from (listen to internet radio), not stream to a server.

Previous versions of vlc had a Service Discovery option which would tune in to
shoutcast/icecast servers to list and listen to their streams. This has now
been removed. A really good feature was that you could search for music of
your liking by genre and different servers would show up to allow you to
connect and listen.
Mick

Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Dale

Mick wrote:

[...]

While diggin, I saw a list of servers and I think they were by genre.
Just go to google and type in icecast server and see what pops up.
Also, watch what google suggests as you type to. It may show a option
we aren't thinking about. May be just what you need.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Mick

On Sunday 03 October 2010 19:10:13 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:

> >> I know nothing about vlc or icecast but I did google and find this.
> >>
> >> http://en.flossmanuals.net/VLC/StreamingIcecast
> >>
> >> It may help, it may not. Let's hope. ;-)
> >
> > Thanks Dale, very kind of you to look into this for me. I actually want
> > to stream from (listen to internet radio), not stream to a server.
> >
> > Previous versions of vlc had a Service Discovery option which would tune
> > in to shoutcast/icecast servers to list and listen to their streams.
> > This has now been removed. A really good feature was that you could
> > search for music of your liking by genre and different servers would
> > show up to allow you to connect and listen.
>
> While diggin, I saw a list of servers and I think they were by genre.
> Just go to google and type in icecast server and see what pops up.
> Also, watch what google suggests as you type to. It may show a option
> we aren't thinking about. May be just what you need.

Yes, google shows and plays shoutcast/icecast music via the browser. It is
just that I used to do that directly from within vlc. But now both vlc and
amarok dropped it due to AOL. :-(
Mick

Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Dale

Mick wrote:

[...]

I was talking about google as a search tool. I found this on Google:

http://dir.xiph.org/index.php

Genre is on the left but it is a short list. No idea what you are
looking for tho. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)