Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Mark David Dumlao

Default firefox-bin optimizations?

Heya,
I noticed that my firefox-bin is a lot smaller in memory footprint
compared to ordinary gentoo-compiled firefox.

Does anyone know what compiler flags upstream applies to their
firefox? I turned off the custom-optimization USE on mine assuming
that it would follow upstream optimizations, but maybe it doesn't.

--
This email is:* * [ ] actionable** [ ] fyi* * * * [ ] social
Response needed:* [ ] yes* * * * * [ ] up to you* [ ] no

Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Johannes Kimmel

I noticed that my firefox-bin is a lot smaller in memory footprint
compared to ordinary gentoo-compiled firefox.

Does anyone know what compiler flags upstream applies to their
firefox? I turned off the custom-optimization USE on mine assuming
that it would follow upstream optimizations, but maybe it doesn't.

I thought firefox-bin is a 32-bit binary. If you are using a 64-bit
gentoo it is likely you self compiled version is a lot bigger.

Regards

Johannes Kimmel

Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Mark David Dumlao

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Johannes Kimmel <johannes.kimmel@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 12:58 PM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
>>
>> Heya,
>> I noticed that my firefox-bin is a lot smaller in memory footprint
>> compared to ordinary gentoo-compiled firefox.
>>
>> Does anyone know what compiler flags upstream applies to their
>> firefox? I turned off the custom-optimization USE on mine assuming
>> that it would follow upstream optimizations, but maybe it doesn't.
>>

> I thought firefox-bin is a 32-bit binary. If you are using a 64-bit gentoo
> it is likely you self compiled version is a lot bigger.

That's right, firefox-bin is a 32bit binary, but I didn't expect the
Virt size to have a nearly 3x difference (855MB vs 355MB) when loading
the same tabs and running the same profile, or the Res size to have
nearly double (200MB vs 130MB).

Is this a speed vs size tradeoff thing? Because I noticed that my
compiled firefox is doing something like 10-30 points higher in the
google v8 benchmark than firefox-bin. But that's relatively a small
improvement, I think my system would do better overall with the giant
memory use reduction.

Or is there an issue with having both firefoxes using the same profile
dirs (not at the same time though).

Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 PM
walt

I noticed that my firefox-bin is a lot smaller in memory footprint
compared to ordinary gentoo-compiled firefox.

Does anyone know what compiler flags upstream applies to their
firefox?

Try entering about:buildconfig in the URL bar.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Mark David Dumlao

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:37 AM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 05:30 AM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Johannes Kimmel<johannes.kimmel@gmx.de>
>> *wrote:

> Try entering about:buildconfig in the URL bar.

Thanks! that's totally what I was looking for.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:49 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:37:10PM -0700, walt wrote
> On 09/30/2010 05:30 AM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:

> Try entering about:buildconfig in the URL bar.

I tried it, and for good measure, did some spelunking in the
.configure file in the firefox tarball. I have some questions, before
possibly tweaking the Firefox ebuild and/or .configure on my machine...

--enable-application=xulrunner
will Firefox run without this?

--enable-pango
will Firefox run without this? I have the "moznopango" flag set, which
is supposed to speed things up, but about:buildconfig indicates that
pango is enabled.

--disable-strip --disable-strip-libs --disable-install-strip
Why? I thought most packages stripped code after install.

--enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
will Firefox run without this?

--enable-oji
will Firefox run without this? And what is "oji"? I can't find any
mention of what it does.

--enable-mathml
I don't really need it right now.

--enable-storage
will Firefox run without this? The help says...
"Enable mozStorage module and related components". Can someone please
give a short explanation in plain English what this does?

--disable-ogg
One thing I might consider enabling. Is there a problem with Firefox's
ogg support, or any other reason to disable it?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 10-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Bill Longman

On 10/04/2010 10:49 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:37:10PM -0700, walt wrote

>> Try entering about:buildconfig in the URL bar.
>
> I tried it, and for good measure, did some spelunking in the
> .configure file in the firefox tarball. I have some questions, before
> possibly tweaking the Firefox ebuild and/or .configure on my machine...
>
> --enable-application=xulrunner
> will Firefox run without this?

It definitely WON'T run without this. Unless you're only looking at the
intertubes as seen 15 years ago...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
walt

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:37:10PM -0700, walt wrote

I noticed that my firefox-bin is a lot smaller in memory footprint
compared to ordinary gentoo-compiled firefox.

Does anyone know what compiler flags upstream applies to their
firefox?

Try entering about:buildconfig in the URL bar.

I tried it, and for good measure, did some spelunking in the
.configure file in the firefox tarball. I have some questions, before
possibly tweaking the Firefox ebuild and/or .configure on my machine...

--enable-application=xulrunner
will Firefox run without this?

Some of your questions are answered in file 'configure.in'.
--enable-application=APP
Options include:
browser (Firefox)
xulrunner

I'm confused about that xulrunner flag because I set it to 'browser' in
my own firefox builds, and so do the binary builds from mozilla. Do you
have the xulrunner USE flag set?

--enable-pango
will Firefox run without this? I have the "moznopango" flag set, which
is supposed to speed things up, but about:buildconfig indicates that
pango is enabled.

If you referring to a USE flag, I don't see it anywhere. Must be obsolete.

--disable-strip --disable-strip-libs --disable-install-strip
Why? I thought most packages stripped code after install.

Do you have the 'debug' USE flag set?

--enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
will Firefox run without this?

You need to pick either that one or cairo-qt if you are building on linux.

--enable-oji
will Firefox run without this? And what is "oji"? I can't find any
mention of what it does.

Open JVM Integration: it enables support for the java plugin named
libjavaplugin_oji.so

--enable-mathml
I don't really need it right now.

Add "ac_add_options --disable-mathml" to your .mozconfig file.

--enable-storage
will Firefox run without this? The help says...
"Enable mozStorage module and related components". Can someone please
give a short explanation in plain English what this does?

'storage' is the mozilla wrapper for SQLite, but configure.in doesn't
eplain what that means. I don't see where '--disable-storage' is even
defined, but you can always try it and see what happens.

--disable-ogg
One thing I might consider enabling. Is there a problem with Firefox's
ogg support, or any other reason to disable it?

I notice that my own firefox builds do compile the code for ogg support,
but I have no idea what it does or if it works correctly.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 08:16:08AM -0700, walt wrote

> I'm confused about that xulrunner flag because I set it to 'browser' in
> my own firefox builds, and so do the binary builds from mozilla. Do you
> have the xulrunner USE flag set?

No. "emerge --info | grep xulrunner" doesn't find anything. I'll
have to modify that.

> > I have the "moznopango" flag set, which is supposed to speed things
> > up, but about:buildconfig indicates that pango is enabled.
>
> If you referring to a USE flag, I don't see it anywhere. Must be obsolete.

OK, I'll have to modify that. Wonder why the Gentoo ebuild maintainer
dropped it.

> > --disable-strip --disable-strip-libs --disable-install-strip
> > Why? I thought most packages stripped code after install.
>
> Do you have the 'debug' USE flag set?

No. "emerge --info | grep debug" doesn't find anything. I'll have to
modify that.

> > --enable-oji
>
> Open JVM Integration: it enables support for the java plugin named
> libjavaplugin_oji.so

Since I don't bother with Java, I may as well disable this.

Some additional spelunking in the ebuild file finds...
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-extensions="${MEXTENSIONS}"
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-application=browser
mozconfig_annotate ' --disable-mailnews
mozconfig_annotate 'broken' --disable-crashreporter
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-image-encoder=all
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-canvas
mozconfig_annotate 'gtk' --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
# Bug 60668: Galeon doesn't build without oji enabled, so enable it
# regardless of java setting.
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-oji --enable-mathml
mozconfig_annotate 'places' --enable-storage --enable-places
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-safe-browsing

# Build mozdevelop permately
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-jsd --enable-xpctools

# System-wide install specs
mozconfig_annotate ' --disable-installer
mozconfig_annotate ' --disable-updater
mozconfig_annotate ' --disable-strip
mozconfig_annotate ' --disable-install-strip

# Use system libraries
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-system-cairo
mozconfig_annotate ' --enable-system-hunspell
mozconfig_annotate ' --with-system-nspr --with-nspr-prefix="${EPREFIX}" /usr
mozconfig_annotate ' --with-system-nss --with-nss-prefix="${EPREFIX}"/usr
mozconfig_annotate ' --x-includes="${EPREFIX}"/usr/include --x-libraries="${EPREFIX}"/usr/$(get_libdir)
mozconfig_annotate ' --with-system-bz2
mozconfig_annotate ' --with-system-libxul
mozconfig_annotate ' --with-libxul-sdk="${EPREFIX}"/usr/$(get_libdir)/xulrunner-devel-${MAJ_XUL_PV}

Looks like I can tweak stuff in the ebuild via "mozconfig_annotate"
lines, and then...

ebuild firefox-3.6.9.ebuild manifest
emerge firefox

Updating new ebuilds after each "emerge --sync" will be simpler than
maintaining firefox outside of portage via manual builds.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:27:54PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

> Looks like I can tweak stuff in the ebuild via "mozconfig_annotate"
> lines, and then...
>
> ebuild firefox-3.6.9.ebuild manifest
> emerge firefox

Something isn't working. I put in
mozconfig_annotate ' --disable-pango
mozconfig_annotate ' --disable-oji --disable-mathml

into the ebuild (a copy in my local overlay) and ebuild-manifested it.
Portage said it was building from the overlay, but "about:buildconfig"
shows them as being enabled. I have been able to
--disable-necko-wifi (WTF is *THAT* in a browser, fercryingoutloud?).

Any ideas? A long time ago, in a place far away, I used to build
Mozilla 0.9x "the hard way", because the downloadable binary was
painfully slow on my machine. And later on Phoenix 0.9x (remember
that?). I've forgotten most of what I learned, but I can follow the
instructions at https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Simple_Firefox_build
I have a couple of questions before proceeding...
1) what do I have to set to force all files to be installed in /opt or
in /usr/local ?
2) I've got 8 gigs of ram. How do I force the compiler to use /dev/shm
as the scratch directory ?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>