FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default Boot Gentoo - by hand - line-by-line - command-by-command?

Hi,
I'm curious if there's a way to capture the exact set of command
that my machine executes as it boots up. I.e. - if I boot the machine,
letting the boot loader find the kernel but then stopping at a bash
prompt, before anything much has been done, I'd then like to know what
set of commands I could use from that bash prompt to make the machine
do whatever it does normally as it boots up.

Is that possible, and is it documented anywhere? Or instead of
capturing commands maybe just a list of things that happen and the
bash commands I'd use to execute them myself.

I think the init scripts, at least the ones I've found under
runlevels, are more generic than I would like to run. I'm looking for
something more like the portion of the install guide where we chroot
into the new build, except executing that from the command line of a
new machine that's booted. I.e.:

mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

except modified to start from nothing and bring the machine up from
scratch. Mount /proc, mount /dev, start udev, check root filesystem,
etc.

This is totally for self-education and nothing else really. Just
curious about how it happens, what order things happen, etc. If anyone
can recommend a good _basic_ book that talks about this I'd appreciate
it.

Thanks,
Mark
 
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Thomas Yao
 
Default Boot Gentoo - by hand - line-by-line - command-by-command?

You may try Linux From Scratch and try to write the init script
yourself, it's good for self-education

Once you master the LFS you can learn more things interesting and
amazing in gentoo

On 9/27/10, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm curious if there's a way to capture the exact set of command
> that my machine executes as it boots up. I.e. - if I boot the machine,
> letting the boot loader find the kernel but then stopping at a bash
> prompt, before anything much has been done, I'd then like to know what
> set of commands I could use from that bash prompt to make the machine
> do whatever it does normally as it boots up.
>
> Is that possible, and is it documented anywhere? Or instead of
> capturing commands maybe just a list of things that happen and the
> bash commands I'd use to execute them myself.
>
> I think the init scripts, at least the ones I've found under
> runlevels, are more generic than I would like to run. I'm looking for
> something more like the portion of the install guide where we chroot
> into the new build, except executing that from the command line of a
> new machine that's booted. I.e.:
>
> mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
> mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
> mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
>
> except modified to start from nothing and bring the machine up from
> scratch. Mount /proc, mount /dev, start udev, check root filesystem,
> etc.
>
> This is totally for self-education and nothing else really. Just
> curious about how it happens, what order things happen, etc. If anyone
> can recommend a good _basic_ book that talks about this I'd appreciate
> it.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
>


--
@ghosTM55
Mechanism, not policy
 
Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Mark Knecht
 
Default Boot Gentoo - by hand - line-by-line - command-by-command?

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Thomas Yao <t.yao426@gmail.com> wrote:
> You may try Linux From Scratch and try to write the init script
> yourself, it's good for self-education
>
> Once you master the LFS you can learn more things interesting and
> amazing in gentoo
>

I was just looking at LFS in another tab.
Thanks!



> On 9/27/10, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> * *I'm curious if there's a way to capture the exact set of command
>> that my machine executes as it boots up. I.e. - if I boot the machine,
>> letting the boot loader find the kernel but then stopping at a bash
>> prompt, before anything much has been done, I'd then like to know what
>> set of commands I could use from that bash prompt to make the machine
>> do whatever it does normally as it boots up.
>>
>> * *Is that possible, and is it documented anywhere? Or instead of
>> capturing commands maybe just a list of things that happen and the
>> bash commands I'd use to execute them myself.
>>
>> * *I think the init scripts, at least the ones I've found under
>> runlevels, are more generic than I would like to run. I'm looking for
>> something more like the portion of the install guide where we chroot
>> into the new build, except executing that from the command line of a
>> new machine that's booted. I.e.:
>>
>> mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
>> mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
>> mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
>>
>> except modified to start from nothing and bring the machine up from
>> scratch. Mount /proc, mount /dev, start udev, check root filesystem,
>> etc.
>>
>> * *This is totally for self-education and nothing else really. Just
>> curious about how it happens, what order things happen, etc. If anyone
>> can recommend a good _basic_ book that talks about this I'd appreciate
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> @ghosTM55
> Mechanism, not policy
>
>
 
Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 PM
James
 
Default Boot Gentoo - by hand - line-by-line - command-by-command?

Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:


> I'm curious if there's a way to capture the exact set of command
> that my machine executes as it boots up.

Hello Mark,

maybe 'app-admin/showconsole', is a good (quick) place to
start by logging console output during the boot process?


hth,
James
 
Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Bill Longman
 
Default Boot Gentoo - by hand - line-by-line - command-by-command?

On 09/28/10 05:58, James wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>
>> I'm curious if there's a way to capture the exact set of command
>> that my machine executes as it boots up.
> Hello Mark,
>
> maybe 'app-admin/showconsole', is a good (quick) place to
> start by logging console output during the boot process?
>
>
>
Thanks, James. I knew there was an application out there but I just
couldn't remember it!
 
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default Boot Gentoo - by hand - line-by-line - command-by-command?

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 5:58 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>
>> * *I'm curious if there's a way to capture the exact set of command
>> that my machine executes as it boots up.
>
> Hello Mark,
>
> maybe 'app-admin/showconsole', is a good (quick) place to
> start by logging console output during the boot process?
>
>
> hth,
> James

James,
Thanks. I've tried showconsole a couple of times in the past but
given up in frustration. I never get output, or don't know where to
look, or don't know how to configure it. (Or all of the above!)

The man page seems pretty useless. It's one of those 'If you
already know how to use this then this will make sense..." sorts of
things.

I've reemerged it and rebooted. What now?

Thanks,
Mark
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org