Old 09-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Hilco Wijbenga

Default Dropbox, cli, and all that

On 24 September 2010 21:58, <felix@crowfix.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 09:43:11PM -0700, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
>> I'm using nautilus-dropbox. It's working fine, not the slightest
>> problem. I rarely use Nautilus, though. All access is through the CLI.
>>
>> If you don't want the daemon running all the time then don't start it
>> automatically. You can use "dropbox start" and "dropbox stop" to
>> start/stop the daemon whenever you want to.
>
> But it requires Nautlis ... did you compile from source, or install
> the Ubuntu or Fedora package? *I tried building the source, and it
> complained
>
> * *No package 'libnautilus-extension' found
>
> Emerge tells me I need 18 packages to install Nautilus. *I don't have
> Gnome or KDE installed and I don't want them; I'm not philosopically
> opposed to them, but I got tired of all the regular emerge problems
> being added to for something I never use.

I don't really remember but I have nautilus-dropbox installed so I
suppose I used that. I also use KDE and apparently some Gnome stuff so
it was not such a big deal for me. It didn't want to install Mono
which is where I draw the line. :-)

I do understand your reluctance to install lots of packages you don't
really need but I'm afraid I can't help you there. Perhaps you can see
if it's possible to just install libnautilus-extension? As far as I
can tell, things work fine from the CLI. There does not appear to be
any real dependency on Nautilus.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Jean-Christophe Bach

Hi,

* felix@crowfix.com <felix@crowfix.com> [24.09.2010. @21:11:46 -0700]:
> I have recently discovered Dropbox as an interesting thing to
> experiment with, not without its drawbacks, but interesting.
>
> I have it running on a work Mac laptop and an Android phone, and it is
> another interesting idea to put it on Linux. However, its downloads
> are for Fedora and Ubuntu, or a source file which requires Nautilus.
> Also, I don't want its daemon running constantly, altho that feature
> is part of what makes it interesting wth the laptop and phone.
>
> Searches bring up various pages, but nothing really promising, either
> old or rather convulated or still using Mautilus. One involves a
> python script which apparently runs the command over and over, each
> time creating one more fake lib to make up for the Fedora/Ubunto ones
> required. No thanks ... while an interesting hack, it's not my idea
> of a way to the future :-)
>

> So the question is ... does anyone have experience with Dropbox on
> gentoo? My system is ~amd64, running fvwm when necessary, neither KDE
> nor Gnome. I'd really like a command line program which I could run
> for manual syncing.

I'm using Dropox to synchronize few conf files and data between my
Gentoo boxes (desktops and server). I only use it in CLI, without
nautilus or something else (my server has no X server).
Since I do not want to let Dropbox having clear data, I encrypt
them with encFS. Lokk at these few links I used :
https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx (official page, the first
solution is for server install)
http://wiki.dropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/TextBasedLinuxInstall (the
tutorial itself)
https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py (the CLI script)
http://pragmattica.wordpress.com/2009/05/10/encrypting-your-dropbox-seamlessly-and-automatically/
(an encFS+Dropbox tutorial, very useful)

Then I run .dropbox-dist/dropbox (or .dropbox-dist/dropboxd if I want it
as a daemon) when I want a synchronization. Run it without '&' and type
ctrl-C to stop it after sync, or write a simple start/stop script.

Regards,

JC