Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 AM

Default Dropbox, cli, and all that

I have recently discovered Dropbox as an interesting thing to
experiment with, not without its drawbacks, but interesting.

I have it running on a work Mac laptop and an Android phone, and it is
another interesting idea to put it on Linux. However, its downloads
are for Fedora and Ubuntu, or a source file which requires Nautilus.
Also, I don't want its daemon running constantly, altho that feature
is part of what makes it interesting wth the laptop and phone.

Searches bring up various pages, but nothing really promising, either
old or rather convulated or still using Mautilus. One involves a
python script which apparently runs the command over and over, each
time creating one more fake lib to make up for the Fedora/Ubunto ones
required. No thanks ... while an interesting hack, it's not my idea
of a way to the future :-)

So the question is ... does anyone have experience with Dropbox on
gentoo? My system is ~amd64, running fvwm when necessary, neither KDE
nor Gnome. I'd really like a command line program which I could run
for manual syncing.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 09-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Hilco Wijbenga

On 24 September 2010 21:11, <felix@crowfix.com> wrote:
> So the question is ... does anyone have experience with Dropbox on
> gentoo? *My system is ~amd64, running fvwm when necessary, neither KDE
> nor Gnome. *I'd really like a command line program which I could run
> for manual syncing.

I'm using nautilus-dropbox. It's working fine, not the slightest
problem. I rarely use Nautilus, though. All access is through the CLI.

If you don't want the daemon running all the time then don't start it
automatically. You can use "dropbox start" and "dropbox stop" to
start/stop the daemon whenever you want to.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:58 AM

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 09:43:11PM -0700, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

> I'm using nautilus-dropbox. It's working fine, not the slightest
> problem. I rarely use Nautilus, though. All access is through the CLI.
>
> If you don't want the daemon running all the time then don't start it
> automatically. You can use "dropbox start" and "dropbox stop" to
> start/stop the daemon whenever you want to.

But it requires Nautlis ... did you compile from source, or install
the Ubuntu or Fedora package? I tried building the source, and it
complained

No package 'libnautilus-extension' found

Emerge tells me I need 18 packages to install Nautilus. I don't have
Gnome or KDE installed and I don't want them; I'm not philosopically
opposed to them, but I got tired of all the regular emerge problems
being added to for something I never use.