Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Paul Hartman

Default Mystery: powertop shows "emerge" causing wake-ups, but emerge is not running.

Hi,

When running powertop on an idle system, I noticed that "emerge" is in
the list of items causing wake-ups. It is virtually always 8.0
wake-ups per 10 second sample (occasionally 8.1 wake-ups, maybe a
result of rounding). It is always there.

The puzzling bit is that emerge is not running at all. I do not have
any cron jobs running emerge. "ps aux | grep emerge" shows nothing.

Even when I am running emerge, even when emerge is using 100% cpu
time, the "emerge" entry in powertop remains at 8.0. ("[kernel
scheduler] Load balancing tick" is what represents almost all real
activity.)

My uname -a:
Linux black 2.6.35.5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 23 00:04:26 CDT 2010
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Using powertop-1.13 on ~amd64.

Maybe powertop needs to be updated for newer kernels? Mabye "emerge"
has an alternative meaning inside of powertop or linux kernel? A
search of the source code of both don't reveal anything that I can
see...

Do any of you have "emerge" in your powertop output? Does anyone know
what this means?

Thanks,
Paul