Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 PM
dhk

Default Monitor Resolution

On 09/24/2010 07:06 AM, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 06:47 -0400, dhk wrote:
>> After a recent xorg upgrade my display hasn't been quite right. It's
>> all usable, but it looks like the resolution is wrong. The resolution
>> is now set at the highest 1024x768 where it use to be 1280x1024.
>>
>> Gnome->System->Preference->Monitors
>> Under Monitor Preferences the monitor is Unknown, Resolution 1024x768,
>> Refresh Rate 0 Hz, and Rotation Normal. The Detect monitors button
>> doesn't seem to do anything. The only other option under Resolution is
>> 800x600.
>>
>> I have a fairly new Samsung 932BW LCD Monitor and using an Nvidia
>> graphics card.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get my display back?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> First, the obligatory "have you looked at the logs"?
>
> Not a lot of information was given (upgraded to what version? what
> drivers?, etc). but here is a guess.
>
> Since you are using an nvidia card, I'm guessing you are using the
> proprietary nvidia drivers. The gnome preference thingie uses xrandr
> which, as far as I know, the proprietery nvidia drivers do not support.
> I don't use nvidia cards anymore, but from my memory the GNOME monitor
> app has never worked with Nvidia.
>
> I'm also guessing that you upgraded to xorg-server 1.9. Based on that,
> and the fact that Nvidia drivers are usually behind Xorg updates, I'm
> going to guess that the proprietary drivers are not working correctly,
> either because Nvidia has to push out an update that supports 1.9 or you
> have not re-compiled your drivers after upgrading the server.
>
> So I would say first to try recompiling the Nvidia driver (if you
> haven't already done so) and if that doesn't fix the problem you'll
> might have to wait until Nvidia updates their proprietary drivers.
>
> Anyway that's just a guess, since I no longer use Nvidia and based on
> the limited information received. You will likely find more information
> (that you can post) by looking at the X server's log file.
>
> -a

After doing the following I didn't notice any difference and the nvidia
driver wasn't installed in the first place.

First)
# emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Starting parallel fetch
>>> Emerging (1 of 4) app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-opengl-20100611
>>> Emerging (2 of 4) x11-libs/libvdpau-0.4
>>> Installing (2 of 4) x11-libs/libvdpau-0.4
>>> Installing (1 of 4) app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-opengl-20100611
>>> Emerging (3 of 4) x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-195.36.31
>>> Installing (3 of 4) x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-195.36.31
>>> Recording x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers in "world" favorites file...
>>> Emerging (4 of 4) media-video/nvidia-settings-195.36.24
>>> Installing (4 of 4) media-video/nvidia-settings-195.36.24
>>> Jobs: 4 of 4 complete Load avg: 3.49,
2.20, 1.21

* Messages for package x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-195.36.31:

* ***** WARNING *****
*
* You are currently installing a version of nvidia-drivers that is
* known not to work with a video card you have installed on your
* system. If this is intentional, please ignore this. If it is not
* please perform the following steps:
*
* Add the following mask entry to /etc/portage/package.mask by
* echo ">=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.0.0" >>
* /etc/portage/package.mask
*
* Failure to perform the steps above could result in a non-working
* X setup.
*
* For more information please read:
* http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
* You must be in the video group to use the NVIDIA device
* For more info, read the docs at
* http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml#doc_chap3_sect6
*
* This ebuild installs a kernel module and X driver. Both must
* match explicitly in their version. This means, if you restart
* X, you must modprobe -r nvidia before starting it back up
*
* To use the NVIDIA GLX, run "eselect opengl set nvidia"
*
* NVIDIA has requested that any bug reports submitted have the
* output of /usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh included.
*
* To work with compiz, you must enable the
* AddARGBGLXVisuals option.
*
* If you are having resolution problems, try
* disabling DynamicTwinView.
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...
>>> No outdated packages were found on your
>>> system.
* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

Second)
echo ">=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.0.0" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

Third)
modprobe has nothing to do.
# modprobe -rn nvidia

Original opengl setting
# eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
[1] nvidia
[2] xorg-x11 *

Restarted and nothing changed.

fourth)
# eselect opengl set nvidia
# eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
[1] nvidia *
[2] xorg-x11

Restarted and nothing changed.

Do I need to set the resolution somewhere? I haven't used an xorg.conf
file in sometime.

Thanks,

dhk

Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Bill Longman

On 09/24/10 05:38, dhk wrote:
> [...]
> *
> * This ebuild installs a kernel module and X driver. Both must
> * match explicitly in their version. This means, if you restart
> * X, you must modprobe -r nvidia before starting it back up
> *
> * To use the NVIDIA GLX, run "eselect opengl set nvidia"
> *
> * NVIDIA has requested that any bug reports submitted have the
> * output of /usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh included.
> *
> * To work with compiz, you must enable the
> * AddARGBGLXVisuals option.
> *
> * If you are having resolution problems, try
> * disabling DynamicTwinView.
> * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
>
> Second)
> echo ">=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.0.0" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

You should have emerged nvidia-drivers here.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 PM
"Ash Wyllie"

Hello

I would like to use a Sony external monitor with my laptop. The Sony does
1920x1200. The laptop uses an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator that will do up
to (for VGA) 2048x1536.

It looks like the hardware will work.

How do I convince Ubuntu to allow me to use a high resolution screen?

-ash
Elect Cthulhu!
Vote the greater evil.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Yorvyk

On 4 Jan 2011 18:15:54 -0500
"Ash Wyllie" <ashw@lr.net> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would like to use a Sony external monitor with my laptop. The Sony does
> 1920x1200. The laptop uses an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator that will do up
> to (for VGA) 2048x1536.
>
> It looks like the hardware will work.
>
> How do I convince Ubuntu to allow me to use a high resolution screen?

What happens when you plug the monitor in?

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net