Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Default spamd segmentation fault and spamassassin will not emerge

Hi. I am getting a segfault when I try to start the spamd which is part
of spamassassin. I tried re-emerging the package and got the following:
/var/tmp/portage/mail-filter/spamassassin-3.3.1-r3/temp/environment:
line 2405: 14949 Segmentation fault perl Makefile.PL "$@" <<<
"${pm_echovar}"
* ERROR: mail-filter/spamassassin-3.3.1-r3 failed:
* Unable to build! (are you using USE="build"?)
*
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 56: Called src_configure
* environment, line 2752: Called perl-module_src_configure
* environment, line 2369: Called perl-module_src_prep
* environment, line 2427: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* perl Makefile.PL "$@" <<< "${pm_echovar}" || die
* "Unable to build! (are you using USE="build"?)";
*
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info
=mail-filter/spamassassin-3.3.1-r3',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv
=mail-filter/spamassassin-3.3.1-r3'.
* The complete build log is located at
'/var/log/portage/mail-filter:spamassassin-3.3.1-r3:20100923-141343.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/mail-filter/spamassassin-3.3.1-r3/temp/environment'.
* S:
'/var/tmp/portage/mail-filter/spamassassin-3.3.1-r3/work/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1'

Any ideas would be appreciated.
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM
David Abbott

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Hi. *I am getting a segfault when I try to start the spamd which is part
> of spamassassin. *I tried re-emerging the package and got the following:
> /var/tmp/portage/mail-filter/spamassassin-3.3.1-r3/temp/environment:
> line 2405: 14949 Segmentation fault * * *perl Makefile.PL "$@" <<<
Was Perl updated
Did you run perl-cleaner --all

Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 PM

Well, it was from perl 5.12 to 5.12.1 -- do I need to run perl-cleaner
when doing that? I thought it was only for major versions, but if not,
I can try that.

David Abbott <david@pythontoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> > Hi. *I am getting a segfault when I try to start the spamd which is part
> > of spamassassin. *I tried re-emerging the package and got the following:
> > /var/tmp/portage/mail-filter/spamassassin-3.3.1-r3/temp/environment:
> > line 2405: 14949 Segmentation fault * * *perl Makefile.PL "$@" <<<
> Was Perl updated
> Did you run perl-cleaner --all

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 AM
Adam Carter

I thought seg faults were usually hardware.... does it happen at the same point every time?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:01 AM

Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought seg faults were usually hardware.... does it happen at the same
> point every time?
I don't know as core is not dumped, but running perl-cleaner did fix it
-- weird.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 14:27 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
> I thought seg faults were usually hardware....

No segfaults are usually software or, more specifically (C) programming
errors. It's when an application attempts to access a memory location
that it's not assigned to.