Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default Portage internals : shadow root

Hi,

when portage installs a package, it first installs it into some "shadow
root". Then it records all files installed before it moves the files to
the "real root".

I have to do some installations on SUSE systems (which are not
administered by me) and I'd like to imitate that procedure there.

Can anybody tell me if it's not too complicated and if yes, how to
achieve this (on a foreign system like SUSE).

Many thanks for your help,
Helmut.