Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Andrey Vul

Default X programs as root

When I launch X programs via sudo, I get the following:

$sudo gui-admin
No protocol specified
gui-admin: cannot connect to X server :0

( Assume gui-admin is an X program )

But (gk|kde)su(do)? works. This is somewhat confusing.

--
Andrey "m05hbear" Vul

Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Wednesday 22 September 2010, Andrey Vul wrote:
> When I launch X programs via sudo, I get the following:
>
> $sudo gui-admin
> No protocol specified
> gui-admin: cannot connect to X server :0
>
> ( Assume gui-admin is an X program )
>
> But (gk|kde)su(do)? works. This is somewhat confusing.
>

> --
> Andrey "m05hbear" Vul

a) pam
b) sux

Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 09/22/2010 09:48 PM, Andrey Vul wrote:

When I launch X programs via sudo, I get the following:

$sudo gui-admin
No protocol specified
gui-admin: cannot connect to X server :0

( Assume gui-admin is an X program )

But (gk|kde)su(do)? works. This is somewhat confusing.

sudo doesn't keep the $DISPLAY environment variable by default. There
could be other issues too. Best stick to kdesu and friends; that's what
they are there for.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Dale