Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Yohan Pereira

Default su in konsole takes much longer to complete in KDE 4.5.1

On Monday 20 September 2010 11:38:15 pm Thomas Drueke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed KDE 4.5.1 over the weekend following the
> "remove-all-old-kde-packages-first" approach on the gentoo webpage. So
> far everything seems to be fine except one thing.
>
> When I type "su -" in konsole it takes 20-30 seconds to complete.
> Doing the same on a text console the command completes immediately.

odd im running 4.5.1 and dont experince this.

> Any ideas what might cause the delay or how to get more close to the
> root cause ?

you could try it on xterm or any other terminal emulator for that matter.

--
- Yohan Pereira.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 20:08 on Monday 20 September 2010, Thomas
Drueke did opine thusly:

> Hi,
>
> I installed KDE 4.5.1 over the weekend following the
> "remove-all-old-kde-packages-first" approach on the gentoo webpage. So
> far everything seems to be fine except one thing.
>
> When I type "su -" in konsole it takes 20-30 seconds to complete.
> Doing the same on a text console the command completes immediately.
>
> I don't have NIS or LDAP enabled. "strace su -" came back with an
> authentication failure immediately so no much info from there.
> Also "top" didn't show any suspicious process consuming the time.
>
> I found a thread from may which might be related to my observation
> ("KDE takes ages to show password screen after suspend").
> The solution there was to upgrade to KDE 4.4.4 which does not fit here.
> Google didn't show much on this topic as well.
>
> Any ideas what might cause the delay or how to get more close to the
> root cause ?

20-30 second delays due to DNS timeouts have hit me so many times it's always
the first thing I check, even when it seems irrelevant.

Does your machine have a local hostname, and do you have an entry for it in
either DNS or /etc/hosts?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Thomas Drueke

Thanks for hints, but no luck so far.

Yohan, using xterm instead of konsole results in the same delay.

Alan, hosts contains the hostname (FQDN) for eth0 and also alocalhost
entry. Plus wireshark didn't show any network traffic during the delay
(for both eth0 and lo).

Is there any of the new services from KDE 4 which requires some
configuration concerning DNS or similar network services ?

Regards,
Thomas

Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
YoYo Siska

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:53:34PM +0200, Thomas Drueke wrote:
> Thanks for hints, but no luck so far.
>
> Yohan, using xterm instead of konsole results in the same delay.

To rule some other things out, you could also try:
unset DISPLAY
su -

DISPLAY is one of the differences between a text konsole and anything
under X... Might be that some bashrc/profile script tries to do
something with X if it sees DISPLAY, but isn't able to connect to X under
root... (maybe some xauth stuff..)

yoyo

Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Thomas Drueke

Thanks for the hint.

"unset DISPLAY" let "su -" complete immediately.

I'll check my bashrc/profile + xauth related things to see what might
cause this.

Thomas

Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Thomas Drueke

Just to let you know that I solved this (at least somehow) by using kdm
as login manager and no longer start KDE via .xinitrc/startkde. It seems
some more configuration/program-startup is done by kdm which solves this.

Thanks for your help.
Thomas