Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Thomas Yao

Default VMware Workstation 7.1.1 installation failed on gentoo

Hi all , I just downloaded the VMware Workstation 7 and tried to
install it on my gentoo but failed
I installed 32-bit gentoo system on my PC and its kernel version is
the lastest one in gentoo -> 2.6.35-r7
I successfully installed Workstation on the gentoo but when I run it ,
it ask me to compile the modules it needs.

Then I just click install and failed at the last step , here is the fail log:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/264928/

Any help ? Big thank you

--
@ghosTM55
Mechanism, not policy

Old 09-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Hi all , I just downloaded the VMware Workstation 7 and tried to
install it on my gentoo but failed
I installed 32-bit gentoo system on my PC and its kernel version is
the lastest one in gentoo -> 2.6.35-r7
I successfully installed Workstation on the gentoo but when I run it ,
it ask me to compile the modules it needs.

Then I just click install and failed at the last step , here is the fail log:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/264928/

Any help ? Big thank you

You cannot install the package provided by vmware.com. You have to use
the Gentoo ebuild. With layman, add the "vmware" overlay and install
vmware-workstation from there. Before you do that, make sure you
cleaned your system from everything installed by the official vmware
package.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Thomas Yao

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> You cannot install the package provided by vmware.com. *You have to use the
> Gentoo ebuild. *With layman, add the "vmware" overlay and install
> vmware-workstation from there. *Before you do that, make sure you cleaned
> your system from everything installed by the official vmware package.

Okay , thank you very much , I'll try it soon

--
@ghosTM55
Mechanism, not policy

Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Adam Carter

Im using the vmware installer on gentoo sucessfully. Seems that 7.1.1
on 2.6.34 is a bit smoother on the install than .35 but it still
works.

Iirc you just need to set init script stuff

Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Im using the vmware installer on gentoo sucessfully. Seems that 7.1.1
on 2.6.34 is a bit smoother on the install than .35 but it still
works.

Iirc you just need to set init script stuff

This is taken care of by the ebuild.

Also, the modules are not part of a package, but are compiled by a
script. In the vmware overlay, the modules come in their own package
(vmware-modules).