Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 AM

Default Some keyboard confusions

Hi,

I am a little confused about the keyboard mapping, and what I made
wrong to screw it up...

What I want is a keyboard with german layout and no dead keys,
which was working under 32bit Linux.

What I did additionally under the 32bit Gentoo was to dump all
keysetting with xkeycaps into a ~/.xmodmap-file, remove the
entry for CAPS LOCK and reload it with ~/config/openbox/autostart.sh.
Works perfectly.

After setting up the 64bit system, something subtle changes.

With (as I think...) identical setting I got a mainly working
keyboard layout with even the germen umlauts working BUT some
(but important) keys NOT working:
@ does not work
Alt Gr was mapped to Page up
.
.
and so on. Some very interesting variations....

I tried to redump .xmodmap with xkeycaps but that did not
work.

Finally

setxkbmap de

brings back "@" to normal as "ALt Gr".

But: No "no dead keys" ... all keyes were "alive", so to say...

I do not only want to fix this, I want to understand, whether I need
setxkbmap and whether/how it is possible to get back the former more
simpler (and working) way of a keyboard layout.

Ah! By the way: There were no changes to xorg.conf between the two
systems. /etc/conf.d/keymaps has the entry
KEYMAP="qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys" as with the 32bit system.

How can I fix this ?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
Best regard,
mcc

Old 09-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Mick

On Saturday 18 September 2010 04:44:35 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> KEYMAP="qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys"

Try changing this to:

KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
Mick

Old 09-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [10-09-18 18:00]:
> On Saturday 18 September 2010 04:44:35 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > KEYMAP="qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
>
> Try changing this to:
>
> KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Unfortunately, this give me an QWERTY-keyboard layout (default).

Regards,
mcc

Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Mick

On Sunday 19 September 2010 16:06:06 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [10-09-18 18:00]:
> > On Saturday 18 September 2010 04:44:35 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > KEYMAP="qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
> >
> > Try changing this to:
> >
> > KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
>
> Unfortunately, this give me an QWERTY-keyboard layout (default).

Hmm ... odd!

There is no such keyboard file under ... /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty:

$ ls -la /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty | grep de-latin1-nodeadkeys
$

unlike the qwertz directory:

$ ls -la /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz | grep de-latin1-nodeadkeys
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 295 May 14 18:59 de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map.gz

Have you perhaps made a typo?
Mick

Old 09-19-2010, 04:09 PM

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [10-09-19 18:02]:
> On Sunday 19 September 2010 16:06:06 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [10-09-18 18:00]:
> > >
> > > Try changing this to:
> > >
> > > KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
> >
> > Unfortunately, this give me an QWERTY-keyboard layout (default).
>
> Hmm ... odd!
>
> There is no such keyboard file under ... /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty:
>
> $ ls -la /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty | grep de-latin1-nodeadkeys
> $
>
> unlike the qwertz directory:
>
> $ ls -la /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz | grep de-latin1-nodeadkeys
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 295 May 14 18:59 de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map.gz
>
> Have you perhaps made a typo?
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hi Mick,

The problem is somehow different. Because de-latin1-nodeadkeys is
not found undr /usr/share/keymaps (it is under
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwert), there is no key(re)mapping at all and
everything remains by default...and this is a qwerty keyboard.

Setting it to KEYMAP="qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys" give /most/ (but
unfortunately not every) keymapping I want: No '@'for example but
nodeadkeys.

When doing a setxkbd de give me all keymappings -- but no nodeadkeys
(the dead keys are 'dead' and not 'nodead').

So, currently I can choose between two not completly good settings...

Best regards,
mcc