Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 AM

Default To be sse3 or not to be sse3, that is the phenom!

Hi,

short question:
My PC runs a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (E0 stepping, Black Edition).
cat /proc/cpuinfo claims, that the processor does support sse, sse2
and sse4a (sse3 is missing).

Wikipedia states for the same CPU that it would support sse3.

What is correct?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Nils Larsson

fredag 17 september 2010 05.21.42 skrev meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> Hi,
>
> short question:
> My PC runs a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (E0 stepping, Black Edition).
> cat /proc/cpuinfo claims, that the processor does support sse, sse2
> and sse4a (sse3 is missing).
>
> Wikipedia states for the same CPU that it would support sse3.
>
> What is correct?
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

IIRC the sse3 flag is "pni".

Old 09-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Paul Hartman

Correct. See http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/3/86

Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Friday 17 September 2010, Nils Larsson wrote:
> fredag 17 september 2010 05.21.42 skrev meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> > Hi,
> >
> > short question:
> > My PC runs a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (E0 stepping, Black Edition).
> > cat /proc/cpuinfo claims, that the processor does support sse, sse2
> > and sse4a (sse3 is missing).
> >
> > Wikipedia states for the same CPU that it would support sse3.
> >
> > What is correct?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
>
> IIRC the sse3 flag is "pni".

exactly. The phenom does of course support sse3.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Bill Longman

On 09/17/2010 12:01 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Friday 17 September 2010, Nils Larsson wrote:
>> fredag 17 september 2010 05.21.42 skrev meino.cramer@gmx.de:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> short question:
>>> My PC runs a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (E0 stepping, Black Edition).
>>> cat /proc/cpuinfo claims, that the processor does support sse, sse2
>>> and sse4a (sse3 is missing).
>>>
>>> Wikipedia states for the same CPU that it would support sse3.
>>>
>>> What is correct?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> mcc
>> IIRC the sse3 flag is "pni".
> exactly. The phenom does of course support sse3.

But none of the AMD cpus support ssse3. (with 3 "s") Just to cloud the
issue some. :-)