Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Davide Carnovale

Default R: R: Install Gentoo from a Debian?

You're welcome! I was just online at the right time =)

Il giorno 15/set/2010 13:40, "alex@sourcegarden.de" <alex@sourcegarden.de> ha scritto:

On 09/15/10 13:33, Davide Carnovale wrote:
> You definitely can. The usual gentoo install is based o...

Great stuff, thanks for fast answere.

Greeting from Germany

--

Sourcegarden GmbH

HR: B-104357 Steuernummer: 37/167/21214USt-ID DE814784953

Geschäftsführer: Mario Scheliga, Rene Otto

Bank: Deutsche Bank, BLZ: 10070024, KTO: 0810929
Adresse: Schönhauser Allee 55, 10437 Berlin

Old 09-15-2010, 11:49 AM
"alex@sourcegarden.de"

On 09/15/10 13:46, Davide Carnovale wrote:

> You're welcome! I was just
online at the right time =)

> Il giorno 15/set/2010 13:40, "alex@sourcegarden.de"

> <alex@sourcegarden.de> ha scritto:

> On 09/15/10 13:33, Davide Carnovale wrote:

>> You definitely can. The usual gentoo install is based
o...

> Great stuff, thanks for fast answere.

> Greeting from Germany

What is about grub2 and gentoo? nerver used before and my Debian

already have it. I rember from the last time with ubuntu that i
got

problem to boot, becources the option do work correctly.

i got grub2-1.98+20100804-4

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Al

> What is about grub2 and gentoo? nerver used before and my Debian
> already have it. I rember from the last time with ubuntu that i got
> problem to boot, becources the option do work correctly.
>
> i got grub2-1.98+20100804-4

You can control the master boot record only from one partition. If
Debian already has it (and is your main system) I would adapt it
there.

If you install it into experimental Gentoo and break it, you will not
even be able to boot Debian.

Al

Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
"alex@sourcegarden.de"

On 09/15/10 13:56, Al wrote:

>> What is about grub2 and gentoo? nerver used before and
my Debian

>> already have it. I rember from the last time with
ubuntu that i

>> got problem to boot, becources the option do work
correctly.

>> i got grub2-1.98+20100804-4

> You can control the master boot record only from one
partition. If

> Debian already has it (and is your main system) I would
adapt it

> there.

> If you install it into experimental Gentoo and break it,
you will

> not even be able to boot Debian.

> Al

That's not my question, problem was adding Gentoo to grub2 config,
it

was'nt found by grub2-script and not added to the list. But i will
see

in a few minutes how it comes.

Greeting

Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Kacper Kopczyński

Dnia 2010-09-15, o godz. 13:49:53
"alex@sourcegarden.de" <alex@sourcegarden.de> napisał(a):

> On 09/15/10 13:46, Davide Carnovale wrote:
> > You're welcome! I was just online at the right time =)
> >
> > Il giorno 15/set/2010 13:40, "alex@sourcegarden.de"
> > <alex@sourcegarden.de> ha scritto:
> >
> > On 09/15/10 13:33, Davide Carnovale wrote:
> >> You definitely can. The usual gentoo install is based o...
> > Great stuff, thanks for fast answere.
> >
> > Greeting from Germany
> >

> What is about grub2 and gentoo? nerver used before and my Debian
> already have it. I rember from the last time with ubuntu that i got
> problem to boot, becources the option do work correctly.
>
> i got grub2-1.98+20100804-4
>

> --
> Sourcegarden GmbH HR: B-104357
> Steuernummer: 37/167/21214 USt-ID: DE814784953
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Mario Scheliga, Rene Otto
> Bank: Deutsche Bank, BLZ: 10070024, KTO: 0810929
> Schoenhauser Allee 55, 10437 Berlin

I suggest you try first on virtual environment before breaking anything
- virtualbox for example...

For creating 32bit gentoo on 64bit debian use /usr/bin/linux32 before
you chroot to gentoo stage root.

So the plan I see is:

1. create gentoo on server (linux32, chroot, compile, emerge -e world,
etc). You can always recompile world with another set of CFLAGS if you
have different machine, so set CGLAGS for generic 686
2. create experimental environment with debian and compiled gentoo in
virtualbox
3. learn about problems (bios, grub, grub2, backup copies)
4. do it

good luck

--
Kacper Kopczyński

Old 09-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Al

> That's not my question, problem was adding Gentoo to grub2 config, it
> was'nt found by grub2-script and not added to the list. But i will see
> in a few minutes how it comes.
>
> Greeting

Grub2 is more complex than Grub1. A whole directory of configurations
from which the actual configuration is finally generated. Read some
tutorial here.

Gentoo wasn't detected automatically from Ubuntu. I needed to
configure it manually following the Gentoo handbook.

Al

Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Nils Larsson

> That's not my question, problem was adding Gentoo to grub2 config, it
> was'nt found by grub2-script and not added to the list. But i will see
> in a few minutes how it comes.

Grub2 (or os-prober) can't find Gentoo installs. You have to add it manually or
add a script that generates the Gentoo entry "blindy".