Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
"alex@sourcegarden.de"

Default Install Gentoo from a Debian?

Hi guys,

I want to try install gentoo, but there no blanks or usb, but there i
got a debian(amd64). Can i use this to install gentoo without a doubt?

greetings

--
Sourcegarden GmbH HR: B-104357
Steuernummer: 37/167/21214 USt-ID: DE814784953

Old 09-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Al

2010/9/15 alex@sourcegarden.de <alex@sourcegarden.de>:
> *Hi guys,
>
> I want to try install gentoo, but there no blanks or usb, but there i
> got a debian(amd64). Can i use this to install gentoo without a doubt?
>
> greetings

Hello Alex,

I installed it from Ubuntu which is similar to Debian. While doing
that I did rework the german Wiki page not long ago.

http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Installation_von_Gentoo_Linux

It was helpfull for me. Now it should be even more up-to-date.

Al

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 13:49 on Wednesday 15 September 2010, Al did
opine thusly:

> 2010/9/15 alex@sourcegarden.de <alex@sourcegarden.de>:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I want to try install gentoo, but there no blanks or usb, but there i
> > got a debian(amd64). Can i use this to install gentoo without a doubt?
> >
> > greetings
>
> Hello Alex,
>
> I installed it from Ubuntu which is similar to Debian. While doing
> that I did rework the german Wiki page not long ago.
>
> http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Installation_von_Gentoo_Linux
>
> It was helpfull for me. Now it should be even more up-to-date.
>
> Al

You can even do it from Windows if you feel that way inclined.

All an installer does is write a bunch of files to known names on a disk. It
does absolutely nothing else. All you'd need Windows to do is:

have a driver for the filesystem you want Gentoo to run on
make valid partitions and filesystems, then write to them
run portage correctly

This is all the installer ever does.
it's also what wubi does.

--