Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Default Some problems while migrating to 64bit

Hi,

(I did a emerge -e world with the "world"-file from my 32bit
system...)

my 64bit-root is finally up and running and X is up also.

Hurray!

But there some strange problems...

Sigh... :-{

1.) The fonts of mrxvt are microscopic tiny...my home and .mrxvt
remained the same. Are fonts not reported to "world" when emerged?
What are the basic fonts I need before buying new glasses?

2.) Mouse does not work. Hald is up, fdi-rules are copied from my old
system, /dev/input/mice is there, gpm (started for a test) sees
the mouse, xf86-input-mouse is recompiled, dbus is running.
What's wrong? X.org.log reports "no device defined for mouse"...
my xorg.conf does not define such...but it is the same xorg.conf,
which works under 32bit env.
So....

3.) Keyboard behaves somehow strange. German Umlauts works, but "|"
does not...it performs something like a crazy backspace or so.
And a UNIX without a working pipe is not really making me happy...

4.) As someone already reports to the list: k3b does not find any
burner, cdrom, dvd-drive. /dev/sr0 exist and is linked to dvd.
I even can boot from dvd...
Somehow I "feel" dbus is guilty but this is more a paranormal
input than anything related to system administration.
This did work with an older version of dbus on my old system.
But I cannot stay with this older version, since emerge claims
to need it for other installs....

As always I will be very happy for help. Thank you very much in
advance!

Best regards
mcc

Old 09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Mark Knecht

Congrats

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:47 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
<SNIP>

> 2.) Mouse does not work. Hald is up, fdi-rules are copied from my old
> * *system, /dev/input/mice is there, gpm (started for a test) sees
> * *the mouse, xf86-input-mouse is recompiled, dbus is running.
> * *What's wrong? X.org.log reports "no device defined for mouse"...
> * *my xorg.conf does not define such...but it is the same xorg.conf,
> * *which works under 32bit env.
> * *So....

Two things:

1) I think there are path differences in my xorg.config files between
64-bit and 32-bit. If you copied your xorg.config from the 32-bit
world you might need to modify those by hand.

2) Invest in a copy of modules-rebuild. (It's free and in portage.)
Double/triple/quadruple check that it gets set up with all the xorg
drivers, video drivers and other things that need to be rebuilt for
each kernel rev. Sometimes I've had problems simply because something
didn't get rebuilt. Common problem for me on change overs like this.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
walt

(I did a emerge -e world with the "world"-file from my 32bit
system...)

my 64bit-root is finally up and running and X is up also.

Hurray!

But there some strange problems...

Sigh... :-{

Yes, indeed.

1.) The fonts of mrxvt are microscopic tiny...my home and .mrxvt
remained the same. Are fonts not reported to "world" when emerged?
What are the basic fonts I need before buying new glasses?

I have far more than I really use, but here is my list:

(**) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/corefonts/,
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/,
/usr/share/fonts/baekmuk-fonts/,
/usr/share/fonts/freefonts/,
/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera/,
/usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts/,
/usr/share/fonts/arphicfonts/,
/usr/share/fonts/terminus/,
/usr/share/fonts/misc/,
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,
/usr/share/fonts/OTF,
/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,
/usr/share/fonts/misc/,
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,
/usr/share/fonts/OTF,
/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/

The corefonts are the standard MS fonts used in Windows, which I actually use.

2.) Mouse does not work. Hald is up, fdi-rules are copied from my old
system, /dev/input/mice is there, gpm (started for a test) sees
the mouse, xf86-input-mouse is recompiled, dbus is running.
What's wrong? X.org.log reports "no device defined for mouse"...
my xorg.conf does not define such...but it is the same xorg.conf,
which works under 32bit env.

xf86-input-evdev is the important driver these days, not keyboard and mouse.
(FWIW, I also have /dev/input/mouse0 in addition to 'mice')

Do you have that installed, and is X using it? hal discovers the input
hardware, but then evdev takes over after that. I have no Input Sections
in xorg.conf and evdev works perfectly without them:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: always reports core events
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Found 9 mouse buttons
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Found relative axes
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Configuring as mouse
(**) Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
(**) Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 8, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

2010/9/13 <meino.cramer@gmx.de>:
> 1.) The fonts of mrxvt are microscopic tiny...my home and .mrxvt
> * *remained the same. Are fonts not reported to "world" when emerged?
> * *What are the basic fonts I need before buying new glasses?

Maybe you forgot some use flag or something. To use truetype fonts in
mrxvt you need to turn that flag on. I also have no idea about mrxvt,
but most terminal emulators read their configs from ~/.Xdefaults,
check the mrxvt man page and/or docs.

> 2.) Mouse does not work. Hald is up, fdi-rules are copied from my old
> * *system, /dev/input/mice is there, gpm (started for a test) sees
> * *the mouse, xf86-input-mouse is recompiled, dbus is running.
> * *What's wrong? X.org.log reports "no device defined for mouse"...
> * *my xorg.conf does not define such...but it is the same xorg.conf,
> * *which works under 32bit env.
> * *So....

So, latest Xorg doesn't use hal. I can't be sure since you are not
telling us what xorg version you are using. Since 1.8 X uses udev
instead.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml

> 3.) Keyboard behaves somehow strange. German Umlauts works, but "|"
> * *does not...it performs something like a crazy backspace or so.
> * *And a UNIX without a working pipe is not really making me happy...

If it happens only under X, then it's the same issue that you have
with your mouse. Configure it using the new method.

> 4.) As someone already reports to the list: k3b does not find any
> * *burner, cdrom, dvd-drive. /dev/sr0 exist and is linked to dvd.

Probably a k3b and/or udev issue. I can't help with this one. But I
think I've seen something about k3b lately in the forums. Might worth
a check.

> * *I even can boot from dvd...

That's nothing to do with linux, but your BIOS. A different land.

Regards.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella

Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 AM

Jes??s J. Guerrero Botella <jesus.guerrero.botella@gmail.com> [10-09-15 01:49]:
> 2010/9/13 <meino.cramer@gmx.de>:
> > 1.) The fonts of mrxvt are microscopic tiny...my home and .mrxvt
> > * *remained the same. Are fonts not reported to "world" when emerged?
> > * *What are the basic fonts I need before buying new glasses?
>
> Maybe you forgot some use flag or something. To use truetype fonts in
> mrxvt you need to turn that flag on. I also have no idea about mrxvt,
> but most terminal emulators read their configs from ~/.Xdefaults,
> check the mrxvt man page and/or docs.
>

> > 2.) Mouse does not work. Hald is up, fdi-rules are copied from my old
> > * *system, /dev/input/mice is there, gpm (started for a test) sees
> > * *the mouse, xf86-input-mouse is recompiled, dbus is running.
> > * *What's wrong? X.org.log reports "no device defined for mouse"...
> > * *my xorg.conf does not define such...but it is the same xorg.conf,
> > * *which works under 32bit env.
> > * *So....
>
> So, latest Xorg doesn't use hal. I can't be sure since you are not
> telling us what xorg version you are using. Since 1.8 X uses udev
> instead.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml
>

> > 3.) Keyboard behaves somehow strange. German Umlauts works, but "|"
> > * *does not...it performs something like a crazy backspace or so.
> > * *And a UNIX without a working pipe is not really making me happy...
>
> If it happens only under X, then it's the same issue that you have
> with your mouse. Configure it using the new method.
>

> > 4.) As someone already reports to the list: k3b does not find any
> > * *burner, cdrom, dvd-drive. /dev/sr0 exist and is linked to dvd.
>
> Probably a k3b and/or udev issue. I can't help with this one. But I
> think I've seen something about k3b lately in the forums. Might worth
> a check.
>
> > * *I even can boot from dvd...
>
> That's nothing to do with linux, but your BIOS. A different land.
>

> Regards.
>

> --
> Jesús Guerrero Botella

Hi,

thank you for your reply and explanations, Jesus!

The problems are nearly gone in the meanwhile: The HAL-flag
was missing for the xorg-sevrer (1.7), after that mouse was
recognized and the keyboard was fully functional (with pipes) again.

Fonts: I simply missed to install a couple of fonts. But why they
was not in my old "world" file...dont know.

k3b: Fixed. It is an issue with dbus having not enough rights
to rebort to hald which again was used by a user-land application
like k3b. I "fixed" this by badly manipulation /etc/dbus-1/system.conf
(see other mail from me of today).

So my system now seems to work under 64bit. Rendering becomes 30% faster!
Oh yeah!

Best regards,
mcc

Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Bill Longman

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:

Jes??s J. Guerrero Botella <jesus.guerrero.botella@gmail.com> [10-09-15 01:49]:

> 2010/9/13 *<meino.cramer@gmx.de>:

> > 1.) The fonts of mrxvt are microscopic tiny...my home and .mrxvt

> > * *remained the same. Are fonts not reported to "world" when emerged?

> > * *What are the basic fonts I need before buying new glasses?

> Maybe you forgot some use flag or something. To use truetype fonts in

> mrxvt you need to turn that flag on. I also have no idea about mrxvt,

> but most terminal emulators read their configs from ~/.Xdefaults,

> check the mrxvt man page and/or docs.

> > 2.) Mouse does not work. Hald is up, fdi-rules are copied from my old

> > * *system, /dev/input/mice is there, gpm (started for a test) sees

> > * *the mouse, xf86-input-mouse is recompiled, dbus is running.

> > * *What's wrong? X.org.log reports "no device defined for mouse"...

> > * *my xorg.conf does not define such...but it is the same xorg.conf,

> > * *which works under 32bit env.

> > * *So....

> So, latest Xorg doesn't use hal. I can't be sure since you are not

> telling us what xorg version you are using. Since 1.8 X uses udev

> instead.

> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml

> > 3.) Keyboard behaves somehow strange. German Umlauts works, but "|"

> > * *does not...it performs something like a crazy backspace or so.

> > * *And a UNIX without a working pipe is not really making me happy...

> If it happens only under X, then it's the same issue that you have

> with your mouse. Configure it using the new method.

> > 4.) As someone already reports to the list: k3b does not find any

> > * *burner, cdrom, dvd-drive. /dev/sr0 exist and is linked to dvd.

> Probably a k3b and/or udev issue. I can't help with this one. But I

> think I've seen something about k3b lately in the forums. Might worth

> a check.

> > * *I even can boot from dvd...

> That's nothing to do with linux, but your BIOS. A different land.

> Regards.

> --

> Jesús Guerrero Botella

Hi,

thank you for your reply and explanations, Jesus!

The problems are nearly gone in the meanwhile: The HAL-flag

was missing for the xorg-sevrer (1.7), after that mouse was

recognized and the keyboard was fully functional (with pipes) again.

Fonts: I simply missed to install a couple of fonts. But why they

was not in my old "world" file...dont know.

k3b: Fixed. It is an issue with dbus having not enough rights

to rebort to hald which again was used by a user-land application

like k3b. I "fixed" this by badly manipulation /etc/dbus-1/system.conf

(see other mail from me of today).

So my system now seems to work under 64bit. Rendering becomes 30% faster!

Oh yeah!

Best regards,

mcc

So, in the long run, would you say you saved any time? How fast can you install fresh 64 bit gentoo compared to your hop-step-jump that you did? I'd be interested to know.
--

Bill Longman

Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

2010/9/15 <meino.cramer@gmx.de>:
> thank you for your reply and explanations, Jesus!

You are welcome.

> The problems are nearly gone in the meanwhile: The HAL-flag
> was missing for the xorg-sevrer (1.7), after that mouse was
> recognized and the keyboard was fully functional (with pipes) again.

Yes. 1.7 needs USE=hal to be able to use .fdi based configs. Bear in
mind what I said in the other mail though: in the future hal will be
gone, so save that bookmark for the next time your mouse and keyboard
stop working.

> Fonts: I simply missed to install a couple of fonts. But why they
> was not in my old "world" file...dont know.

Maybe you installed them manually, that's not uncommon when it comes
to fonts. Installing fonts for a given user is a matter of copying
them into ~/.fonts/, some desktops like kde might have GUIs to do the
same task.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella