Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Default automatically updated certain packages

Hi folks,

I've got a tricky task for automatic update script, which requires
some portage magic ...

The script has a list of packages which should be updated
completely automatically, but *only* if they're pulled in as
dependency (beginning from world), and others not in that list
should *not* be updated.

Is there any easy way to do it ?

cu

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666

Old 09-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:13 on Sunday 12 September 2010, Enrico
Weigelt did opine thusly:

> Hi folks,
>

> I've got a tricky task for automatic update script, which requires
> some portage magic ...
>
> The script has a list of packages which should be updated
> completely automatically, but *only* if they're pulled in as
> dependency (beginning from world), and others not in that list
> should *not* be updated.
>
> Is there any easy way to do it ?

man emerge shows a way for the specific case if you are updating world:

--deselect

It basically removes items in the build list that are in world. However if you
are running

emerge app1 app2 app3

then the man page implies it won't do what you want.

I don't know when this feature arrived. I run v2.2 and there's been a lot of
update activity in portage this last week

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 23:13:28 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> The script has a list of packages which should be updated
> completely automatically, but *only* if they're pulled in as
> dependency (beginning from world), and others not in that list
> should *not* be updated.

Would piping emerge -pu world through sed/grep/awk and parsing the output
do what you want?

--
Neil Bothwick

Biology is the only science in which multiplication means the same thing
as division.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Stroller

I've got a tricky task for automatic update script, which requires
some portage magic ...

The script has a list of packages which should be updated
completely automatically, but *only* if they're pulled in as
dependency (beginning from world), and others not in that list
should *not* be updated.

If I'm understanding you correctly then you might find `eix -Iu --only-
names` to find a list of packages which are installed on the system,
but not up to date. You can use `equery d category/atom` to see if the
package has any dependencies.

Stroller.