Old 09-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Default copying /var&lib/world(32bitroot) -> 64bitroot ???

Hi,

Do I shoot into my own feet when copying the /var/lib/world-file
from my 32bit system to my 64bit system and doing a "emerge -e world"
then, when logged into my 64bit system to install the same stuff ???

best regards,
mcc

Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Sunday 12 September 2010 19:27:10 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do I shoot into my own feet when copying the /var/lib/world-file
> from my 32bit system to my 64bit system and doing a "emerge -e world"
> then, when logged into my 64bit system to install the same stuff ???
>
> best regards,
> mcc

Hi,

I don't think so as it should compile everything for a 64bit system.
Only "problem" you might encounter is when certain packages are not
available/masked for amd64.
(I can't think of any packages in that category though )

--
Joost

Old 09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do I shoot into my own feet when copying the /var/lib/world-file
> from my 32bit system to my 64bit system and doing a "emerge -e world"
> then, when logged into my 64bit system to install the same stuff ???
>
> best regards,
> mcc

It's OK to do that.

You might want to consider USE flags before you do that, but I don't
think it will cause any problems other than possibly something not
compiling.

Remember that stable on 64-bit doesn't necessarily exactly equal
stable on 32-bit so you might be getting different revisions, etc.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> [10-09-12 19:48]:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Do I shoot into my own feet when copying the /var/lib/world-file
> > from my 32bit system to my 64bit system and doing a "emerge -e world"
> > then, when logged into my 64bit system to install the same stuff ???
> >
> > best regards,
> > mcc
> >

> It's OK to do that.
>
> You might want to consider USE flags before you do that, but I don't
> think it will cause any problems other than possibly something not
> compiling.
>
> Remember that stable on 64-bit doesn't necessarily exactly equal
> stable on 32-bit so you might be getting different revisions, etc.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark

Sounds good....will become a lot of work this night for my
CPU

Thanks fpr your help!
Best regards
mcc

Old 09-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 19:27 on Sunday 12 September 2010,
meino.cramer@gmx.de did opine thusly:

> Hi,
>
> Do I shoot into my own feet when copying the /var/lib/world-file
> from my 32bit system to my 64bit system and doing a "emerge -e world"
> then, when logged into my 64bit system to install the same stuff ???
>
> best regards,
> mcc

No, that will work fine, world has nothignt od o with arch

Except the source file is actually /var/lib/portage/world

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com