Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Default undetected DVD r/w device SOLVED

Selon alain.didierjean@free.fr:

> Selon Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:

> :
> such
<snip>

> > > I use <*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED) ---> in Device Drivers
> as
> > > I've done in the past, and it used to work fine
> >
> > Deselect that which is deprecated and will be removed soon and select the
> > appropriate SCSI drivers for your drives. There's been a few messages on
> > this
> > list explaining how to go about it.
>
> Done. Works both for cdrom unit and old IDE disk, whch now are know as sr0
> (ex hda) and sdc (wax hdc). cdrecord --checkdrive says

> But that silly k3b returns
> No optical drive found.
> K3b did not find any optical device in your system.
> Solution : Make sure HAL daemon is running, it is used by K3b for finding
> devices.
> and on the terminal

Finally solved, a matter of permissions for cdrecord and cdrdao, as explained in
/usr/share/doc/k3b-2.0.0/PERMISSIONS.bz2. I've been fooled by this stupid error
message. Thanks to all who helped,

--
~adj~

Old 09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Mick

On Sunday 12 September 2010 17:27:36 alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:
> Selon alain.didierjean@free.fr:
> > Selon Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:

> > such
>
> <snip>

> > as

> > > Deselect that which is deprecated and will be removed soon and select
> > > the appropriate SCSI drivers for your drives. There's been a few
> > > messages on this
> > > list explaining how to go about it.
> >
> > Done. Works both for cdrom unit and old IDE disk, whch now are know as
> > sr0 (ex hda) and sdc (wax hdc). cdrecord --checkdrive says
> >

> > But that silly k3b returns
> > No optical drive found.
> > K3b did not find any optical device in your system.
> > Solution : Make sure HAL daemon is running, it is used by K3b for finding
> > devices.
> >
> > and on the terminal
>
> Finally solved, a matter of permissions for cdrecord and cdrdao, as
> explained in /usr/share/doc/k3b-2.0.0/PERMISSIONS.bz2. I've been fooled by
> this stupid error message. Thanks to all who helped,

Glad you solved it!

My permissions are:

$ ls -la /usr/bin/cdrecord
-rws--x--x 1 root root 314352 Jul 22 16:51 /usr/bin/cdrecord

$ ls -la /usr/bin/cdrdao
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 569352 Jul 22 16:55 /usr/bin/cdrdao

and I had to add my user to the cdrom group, but both of the above binaries
are not in the cdrom group.
Mick

Old 09-12-2010, 06:04 PM

alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:

> > But that silly k3b returns
> > No optical drive found.
> > K3b did not find any optical device in your system.
> > Solution : Make sure HAL daemon is running, it is used by K3b for finding
> > devices.
> > and on the terminal
>
> Finally solved, a matter of permissions for cdrecord and cdrdao, as explained in
> /usr/share/doc/k3b-2.0.0/PERMISSIONS.bz2. I've been fooled by this stupid error
> message. Thanks to all who helped,

Not needed for cdrecord as you noticed with your test already.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)