-   -   dhcpd missing in stage3 of AMD64...? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/426099-dhcpd-missing-stage3-amd64.html)

09-12-2010 02:26 PM

dhcpd missing in stage3 of AMD64...?

Hi,

currently I am on the way to install a AMD64 root system.

I use the AMD64 gentoo iso to boot into a 64bit system.
There was a net-connection without any problems (using DSL and dhcp).

After several steps I chrooted into the new environment and ...
no net anymore. eth0 was up (ifconfig) but dns does not work.

No wonder...there was no dhcpd (at least in /sbin/. ) in the
stage3 tarball (I extracted portage too...).

So...how can I go further...

Best regards,
mcc

Mark Knecht 09-12-2010 02:37 PM

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 7:26 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently I am on the way to install a AMD64 root system.
>
> I use the AMD64 gentoo iso to boot into a 64bit system.
> There was a net-connection without any problems (using DSL and dhcp).
>
> After several steps I chrooted into the new environment and ...
> no net anymore. eth0 was up (ifconfig) but dns does not work.
>
> No wonder...there was no dhcpd (at least in /sbin/. ) in the
> stage3 tarball (I extracted portage too...).
>
> So...how can I go further...
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

Before chrooting did you copy resolv.conf from the boot environment?
That's always worked for me.

I don't think you require dhcpd to make this work. All you have to do
is point at your DSL router, assuming the router has dhcp enabled. The
router serves up the IP addresses and also acts as the name server.

I think possibly you missed a command.

- Mark

"J. Roeleveld" 09-12-2010 02:44 PM

On Sunday 12 September 2010 16:26:23 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently I am on the way to install a AMD64 root system.
>
> I use the AMD64 gentoo iso to boot into a 64bit system.
> There was a net-connection without any problems (using DSL and dhcp).
>
> After several steps I chrooted into the new environment and ...
> no net anymore. eth0 was up (ifconfig) but dns does not work.
>
> No wonder...there was no dhcpd (at least in /sbin/. ) in the
> stage3 tarball (I extracted portage too...).
>
> So...how can I go further...
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

Hi,

To be able to configure your interface using DHCP, you need "dhcpcd"
"dhcpd" is the server-part.

As also mentioned by Mark Knecht, you might have missed the step of copying
"/etc/resolv.conf" to the chroot-environment.

Does DNS work prior to chrooting?

--
Joost

Albert Hopkins 09-12-2010 03:40 PM

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 16:26 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> I use the AMD64 gentoo iso to boot into a 64bit system.
> There was a net-connection without any problems (using DSL and dhcp).
>
> After several steps I chrooted into the new environment and ...
> no net anymore. eth0 was up (ifconfig) but dns does not work.
>
> No wonder...there was no dhcpd (at least in /sbin/. ) in the
> stage3 tarball (I extracted portage too...).

dhcp should be on the livecd and set up before the chroot. So it's not
necessary to be in the stage3 tarball.

-a

09-12-2010 04:31 PM

dhcpd missing in stage3 of AMD64...?

J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> [10-09-12 18:25]:
> On Sunday 12 September 2010 16:26:23 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > currently I am on the way to install a AMD64 root system.
> >
> > I use the AMD64 gentoo iso to boot into a 64bit system.
> > There was a net-connection without any problems (using DSL and dhcp).
> >
> > After several steps I chrooted into the new environment and ...
> > no net anymore. eth0 was up (ifconfig) but dns does not work.
> >
> > No wonder...there was no dhcpd (at least in /sbin/. ) in the
> > stage3 tarball (I extracted portage too...).
> >
> > So...how can I go further...
> >
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
>
> Hi,
>
> To be able to configure your interface using DHCP, you need "dhcpcd"
> "dhcpd" is the server-part.
>
> As also mentioned by Mark Knecht, you might have missed the step of copying
> "/etc/resolv.conf" to the chroot-environment.

/etc/resolv.conf seems to be dynamically created. When booted into my
"old" 32bit system it contains the address of my Fritz!Box, which acts
as DNS for me.
When booted into the livecd (so my 32bit root is not run) this file
contains only comment lines.
I had to copy it when my 32bit run was running...

> Does DNS work prior to chrooting?

sorry for citeing myself: ;)
> > There was a net-connection without any problems (using DSL and dhcp).

So the problem is solved -- at least for me :)

Best regards,
mcc