Old 09-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Jake Moe

Default Booting Gentoo from USB stick

Hello all,

I've been thinking about creating a Gentoo USB stick for install and
rescue purposes (and, of course, just to see if I could). I've mostly
followed the Gentoo handbook (I used a single 4GB partition for the
whole system, and no swap). I've used genkernel for the kernel (so I
can have a multi-system capable kernel). I've gotten GRUB installed and
working. My problem comes in after what I believe is the init process:

Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org
Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPLv2

Press I to enter interactive boot mode

* Mounting proc at /proc
... [ ok ]
* Mounting sysfs at /sys
... [ ok ]
* Mounting /dev
... [ ok ]
* Starting udevd
... [ ok ]
* Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents
... [ ok ]
* Waiting for uevents to be processed
... [ ok ]
* Mounting devpts at /dev/pts
... [ ok ]

* Checking root filesystem ...
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

* Filesystem couldn't be fixed
[ !! ]

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

If I give the root password, I can find no /dev/sda1. However, mount
shows /dev/sda1 on /, and there *is* a /sys/block/sda folders, with a
sda1 folder in that as well. It's almost like it had /dev/sda1, but
then lost it somehow.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Any help would be
appreciated.

Jake Moe

Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Maciej Grela

2010/9/10 Jake Moe <jakesaddress@gmail.com>:
> *Hello all,
>
> I've been thinking about creating a Gentoo USB stick for install and rescue
> purposes (and, of course, just to see if I could). *I've mostly followed the
> Gentoo handbook (I used a single 4GB partition for the whole system, and no
> swap). *I've used genkernel for the kernel (so I can have a multi-system
> capable kernel). *I've gotten GRUB installed and working. *My problem comes
> in after what I believe is the init process:
>

> Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org
> *Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPLv2
>
> Press I to enter interactive boot mode
>
> ** Mounting proc at /proc ... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [
> ok ]
> ** Mounting sysfs at /sys ... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [
> ok ]
> ** Mounting /dev ... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[
> ok ]
> ** Starting udevd ... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [
> ok ]
> ** Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ... * * * * * * *[
> ok ]
> ** Waiting for uevents to be processed ... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[
> ok ]
> ** Mounting devpts at /dev/pts ... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[
> ok ]
> ** Checking root filesystem ...
> fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
> /dev/sda1:
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. *If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> * *e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> ** Filesystem couldn't be fixed * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[
> !! ]
> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D to continue):
>

> If I give the root password, I can find no /dev/sda1. *However, mount shows
> /dev/sda1 on /, and there *is* a /sys/block/sda folders, with a sda1 folder
> in that as well. *It's almost like it had /dev/sda1, but then lost it
> somehow.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? *Any help would be
> appreciated.

Have you seen http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page ? It's based on
Gentoo, you could check what they did to boot from a usb stick.

Br,
Maciej Grela