Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM
"list-catcher"

Default Via vb70001 mini-itx vrs Gentoo

Hello,
I just bought a via vb7001

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=490#spec
or
http://tinyurl.com/364jg3

Old 01-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:33:04 -0600 (CST), list-catcher wrote:

> I just bought a via vb7001

Good luck with getting the CN700 graphics to work stably

--
Neil Bothwick

Things which must be shipped together as a set, aren't.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Hal Martin

IF the BIOS gives you the option of changing the RAM timings, I would
make them all as large as they can go (slowest timings for RAM.) I'm
assuming that your RAM timing is done by default now, and while that is
right most of the time, you can't go wrong with setting them up manually.

If memtest passes with the slowest timings, then I would tighten them
until memtest makes it barf up ATARI and then back off until you reach a
stable area. Another way to do this is to look on the side of your RAM
and see if it lists the timings. If it does, great, set the timings to
those manually in the BIOS, if it doesn't, refer to previous "guess and
check" method.

-Hal

Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Neil Walker

Hal Martin wrote:

IF the BIOS gives you the option of changing the RAM timings,

It's got nothing to do with RAM timings and everything to do with the
fact that VIA couldn't care less about Linux users. One thing I have
learned in th last few months is don't touch VIA with a bargepole. My
VIA-based laptop went in the bin and I am now enjoying the luxury of an
Intel-based laptop with nVidia graphics.

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Hal Martin

Hmm, I find that surprising, especially since the new $200 PC at
Sprawl-Mart is based on their C7 processor. Although I have heard many
issues with trying to get certain, additional, items to work with the
gPC. The main one being no modem...

I once owned a motherboard based on a VIA chipset, worst thing ever...
So I got rid of that and went for a board with an NVidia chipset

-Hal

Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Drew

> It's got nothing to do with RAM timings and everything to do with the
> fact that VIA couldn't care less about Linux users. One thing I have
> learned in th last few months is don't touch VIA with a bargepole. My
> VIA-based laptop went in the bin and I am now enjoying the luxury of an
> Intel-based laptop with nVidia graphics.

I'd agree with you for motherboards but not the mini-ITX all-in-one
boards. I bought a used SP13000G (CN400 based) before Christmas to use
as a (nearly) silent front end for MythTV and it's been rock solid.

-Andrew

Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:24:20 -0800, Drew wrote:

> I'd agree with you for motherboards but not the mini-ITX all-in-one
> boards. I bought a used SP13000G (CN400 based) before Christmas to use
> as a (nearly) silent front end for MythTV and it's been rock solid.

Steer clear of the CN700 ones though, the openchrome drivers are very
unstable on mine.

--
Neil Bothwick

Jimi Hendrix's modem was a Purple Hayes.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Neil Walker

Drew wrote:

I'd agree with you for motherboards but not the mini-ITX all-in-one
boards. I bought a used SP13000G (CN400 based) before Christmas to use
as a (nearly) silent front end for MythTV and it's been rock solid.

It's the newer chipsets that are the real problem - especially in regard
to the graphics support. VIA have shown no real interest in this respect
to Linux users. Somewhat surprising considering their drive to market
their products in countries like Brazil. The Openchrome project is doing
sterling work but progress is frustratingly slow. Fully working and
stable video drivers for Linux are still a very long way away.

In general, I would have to say, if you run Linux, stay away from VIA.

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.