Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Dale

Default Trying to upgrade to KDE 4.5.1. FUBAR

Hi folks,

I think this is FUBAR in the most serious terms here. What I did to
screw this up. I read somewhere that when you install KDE4 and remove
KDE3, you can get rid of the qt3support USE flag. Well, I had forgot
about getting rid of that until I just happened to be looking at the USE
line in make.conf for something else and saw it still there. Well, I
removed it and did a emerge -uvDNa world and let portage go for it. It
rebuilt quite a few packages then stopped with a failure. That was a
couple days ago. I don't have that error anymore. Well, after that
went belly up I just added the flag back thinking I'll get back to where
I was and figure it out later. Let's just say portage doesn't like that
either.

Where I am now. I'm wanting to upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 and was sort of
doing all the above and this at once. Right now, I'm getting a WHOLE
LOT of these sort of errors:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

x11-libs/qt-script:4

(x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.3, installed) pulled in by
~x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.3aqua=,debug=] required by
(x11-libs/qt-gui-4.6.3, installed)
>=x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.3:4 required by
(kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.5.1, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(and 13 more with the same problems)

(x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.2, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
~x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.2aqua=,debug=] required by
(x11-libs/qt-gui-4.6.2, ebuild scheduled for merge)

x11-libs/qt-svg:4

(x11-libs/qt-svg-4.6.2, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
(no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(x11-libs/qt-svg-4.6.3, installed) pulled in by
>=x11-libs/qt-svg-4.6.34 required by (kde-base/mplayerthumbs-4.5.1,
ebuild scheduled for merge)

(and 13 more with the same problem)

x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns:4

(x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.6.2, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
~x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.6.2aqua=,debug=] required by
(x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.6.2-r1, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.6.3, installed) pulled in by
~x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.6.3aqua=,debug=] required by
(x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.6.3-r1, installed)

I only posted here a SMALL portion of this. Can someone explain, in a
way that I can understand, how to get past these? I have never been
able to make much sense of these things. They seem to always be bass
ackwards of what makes sense to me. Just pick one and explain what
portage is trying to tell me so I can fix the others one by one,
hopefully anyway.

I get that I need to unmerge something so that it can emerge a new
version. I just can't figure out what is what.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me have a light bulb
moment. O_O

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 01:21 on Wednesday 08 September 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Hi folks,
>
> I think this is FUBAR in the most serious terms here. What I did to
> screw this up. I read somewhere that when you install KDE4 and remove
> KDE3, you can get rid of the qt3support USE flag. Well, I had forgot
> about getting rid of that until I just happened to be looking at the USE
> line in make.conf for something else and saw it still there. Well, I
> removed it and did a emerge -uvDNa world and let portage go for it. It
> rebuilt quite a few packages then stopped with a failure. That was a
> couple days ago. I don't have that error anymore. Well, after that
> went belly up I just added the flag back thinking I'll get back to where
> I was and figure it out later. Let's just say portage doesn't like that
> either.
>
> Where I am now. I'm wanting to upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 and was sort of
> doing all the above and this at once. Right now, I'm getting a WHOLE
> LOT of these sort of errors:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
> pulled !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
>
> x11-libs/qt-script:4
>
> (x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.3, installed) pulled in by

this is the package (which is already installed an not new) that portage wants
it install. It will do this because ....

> ~x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.3aqua=,debug=] required by
> (x11-libs/qt-gui-4.6.3, installed)

.... qt-gui-4.6.3 requires any version from the base (the ~) of qt-
script-4.6.3 and it also requires it built with USE="-aqua -debug. I dunno
where the = comes from, I get a "-" prefix

You also happen to have qt-gui already installed (again, it's not new)

> >=x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.3:4 required by
>
> (kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.5.1, ebuild scheduled for merge)
> (and 13 more with the same problems)

More similar.

BUT,

> (x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.2, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by

Now it wants 4.6.2 because ...

> ~x11-libs/qt-script-4.6.2aqua=,debug=] required by

... this is a DEPENDS of

> (x11-libs/qt-gui-4.6.2, ebuild scheduled for merge)

portage also wants to install qt-gui-4.6.2 (I assume this is a downgrade,
above says you have 4.6.3

The question is, why does portage want to downgrade qt to 4.6.2? That's the
stable version, 4.6.2-r1 and 4.6.3 are unstable. trying to run kde-4.5.1 on a
stable arch machine is just asking for trouble, you will get hit with Qt
issues.

I suspect one of these:

- stable system. Just go to ~arch
- you have masked everything in qt >4.6.2
- you had an accident with autounmask

> x11-libs/qt-svg:4
>
> (x11-libs/qt-svg-4.6.2, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
> (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
>
> (x11-libs/qt-svg-4.6.3, installed) pulled in by
>
> >=x11-libs/qt-svg-4.6.34 required by (kde-base/mplayerthumbs-4.5.1,

that 4.6.34 looks just like the versioning mess I encountered repeatedly with
the kde overlay. They like finsing odd version numbers to use over there. And
it wreaks havoc if you are not tracking stuff closely.

Which gives a 4th option:

- you are using the kde overlay

Decision time. Can you do without brand new KDE releases for a week? Will you
really die a painful death without them? If not:

remove the overlay from layman.
unmerge all of kde and verify with revdep-rebuild, depclean and friends
unmerge all of qt and verify with revdep-rebuild, depclean and friends
merge kde from the tree after you unmasked it (it's still hardmasked to let
the mirrors sync the tarballs)

> ebuild scheduled for merge)
> (and 13 more with the same problem)
>
> x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns:4
>
> (x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.6.2, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
> ~x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.6.2aqua=,debug=] required by
> (x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.6.2-r1, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>
> (x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.6.3, installed) pulled in by
> ~x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.6.3aqua=,debug=] required by
> (x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.6.3-r1, installed)
>

> I only posted here a SMALL portion of this. Can someone explain, in a
> way that I can understand, how to get past these? I have never been
> able to make much sense of these things. They seem to always be bass
> ackwards of what makes sense to me.

They are not backwards, you just have to read each chunk from the bottom up.

The console output is basically a screen dump of the data structure in memory
portage constructs when figuring out what to do.

Methinks Zac can't be bothered to prettify it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com