Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Wine complains about Gecko

When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might
not work (which it doesn't). It has an "install" button there, but
mentions that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case,
would offer it and install it from there.

I can't find any such package in portage though. "eix gecko" only finds
dev-dotnet/gecko-sharp and www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 AM
Ajai Khattri

When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might not
work (which it doesn't). It has an "install" button there, but mentions that
it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case, would offer it and
install it from there.

I can't find any such package in portage though. "eix gecko" only finds
dev-dotnet/gecko-sharp and www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.

Gecko is part of Firefox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko_(layout_engine)

Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
walt

When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might not work (which it doesn't). It has an "install" button there, but mentions that it would be better if the
distro, Gentoo in this case, would offer it and install it from there.

I believe the wine way to install gecko is by using winetricks:

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Nils Larsson

On Tuesday 07 September 2010 04:32:11 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
> appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might
> not work (which it doesn't). It has an "install" button there, but
> mentions that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case,
> would offer it and install it from there.
>
> I can't find any such package in portage though. "eix gecko" only finds
> dev-dotnet/gecko-sharp and www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.

You should enable the "gecko" USE flag on app-emulation/wine.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might
not work (which it doesn't). It has an "install" button there, but
mentions that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case,
would offer it and install it from there.

I can't find any such package in portage though. "eix gecko" only finds
dev-dotnet/gecko-sharp and www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.

You should enable the "gecko" USE flag on app-emulation/wine.

It is enabled. It always was.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error
dialog appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the
program might not work (which it doesn't). It has an "install" button
there, but mentions that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in
this case, would offer it and install it from there.

I can't find any such package in portage though. "eix gecko" only
finds dev-dotnet/gecko-sharp and www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.

Gecko is part of Firefox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko_(layout_engine)

Firefox is my main browser, so it's always installed.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
> appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might not
> work (which it doesn't). *It has an "install" button there, but mentions
> that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case, would offer it
> and install it from there.

I have it on my system as part of wine. I can run "wine iexplore" and
I get the WINE Internet Explorer and it can successfully load web
pages.

$ equery b /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab
* Searching for /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab ...
app-emulation/wine-1.3.1 (/usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab)

Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
>> When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
>> appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might not
>> work (which it doesn't). *It has an "install" button there, but mentions
>> that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case, would offer it
>> and install it from there.
>
> I have it on my system as part of wine. I can run "wine iexplore" and
> I get the WINE Internet Explorer and it can successfully load web
> pages.
>
> $ equery b /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab
> ** Searching for /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab ...
> app-emulation/wine-1.3.1 (/usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab)

And I will add that the actual wine gecko files that get installed are
Windows files and will be located inside your wine directory at
c:/windows/system/gecko/1.0.0/wine_gecko/

Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might not
work (which it doesn't). It has an "install" button there, but mentions
that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case, would offer it
and install it from there.

I have it on my system as part of wine. I can run "wine iexplore" and
I get the WINE Internet Explorer and it can successfully load web
pages.

$ equery b /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab
* Searching for /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab ...
app-emulation/wine-1.3.1 (/usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab)

The file is here too. So I guess it's supposed to be installed manually
by the user?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 08:11 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@arcor.de> *wrote:
>>>
>>> When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
>>> appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might
>>> not
>>> work (which it doesn't). *It has an "install" button there, but mentions
>>> that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case, would offer
>>> it
>>> and install it from there.
>>
>> I have it on my system as part of wine. I can run "wine iexplore" and
>> I get the WINE Internet Explorer and it can successfully load web
>> pages.
>>
>> $ equery b /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab
>> ** Searching for /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab ...
>> app-emulation/wine-1.3.1 (/usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab)
>
> The file is here too. *So I guess it's supposed to be installed manually by
> the user?

I believe it should install automatically (when it gives you the
message about it not being installed). I don't remember ever having to
do anything special.

I wonder if you rename your .wine directory & start with a fresh wine
configuration if it will work then?

Otherwise, this appears to have the manual installation instructions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3911037&postcount=4

Good luck