Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Default Trying to configure alsa for INTEL HDA (ATI)

Hi,

on my mobo there is the following audio related PCI-items (exerpt
from lspci):

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
The current lsmod gives me:

snd_hda_codec_atihdmi 1807 0
snd_pcm_oss 32995 0
nvidia 10064990 28
snd_hda_intel 17672 0
snd_hda_codec 58749 2 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 4666 1 snd_hda_codec
gspca_ov534 8259 0
gspca_main 21185 1 gspca_ov534
pcspkr 1359 0
snd_pcm 57410 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_page_alloc 5565 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

I did an alsaconf- and update-modules-reboot-cycle, but the only thing
I get with alsamixer are four bars:
master,pcm,capture,digital

Seems a little too less for "high definit audio", or ?

Ok, there is sound...but I would had expected a little more for
that "HD"-thingy...

What did I wrong here? What frog I have to kiss to get back a
princess?

Hardware/Software:
Linux kerenl 2.6.34.6 (vanilla)
alsa-utils/alsa-lib 1.0.23
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV formula

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,
mcc

Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Nils Larsson

> I did an alsaconf- and update-modules-reboot-cycle, but the only thing
> I get with alsamixer are four bars:
> master,pcm,capture,digital
>
> Seems a little too less for "high definit audio", or ?

But what is you're missing? S/DPIF? Headphone? Front?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Nils Larsson

Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Nils Larsson

Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Nils Larsson

Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 14:33 on Monday 06 September 2010, Nils
Larsson did opine thusly:

> > I did an alsaconf- and update-modules-reboot-cycle, but the only thing
> > I get with alsamixer are four bars:
> > master,pcm,capture,digital
> >
> > Seems a little too less for "high definit audio", or ?
>
> But what is you're missing? S/DPIF? Headphone? Front?

We have

a. a mail loop
b. a clueless user w.r.t. vacation settings

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> [10-09-06 17:10]:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 14:33 on Monday 06 September 2010, Nils
> Larsson did opine thusly:
>
> > > I did an alsaconf- and update-modules-reboot-cycle, but the only thing
> > > I get with alsamixer are four bars:
> > > master,pcm,capture,digital
> > >
> > > Seems a little too less for "high definit audio", or ?
> >
> > But what is you're missing? S/DPIF? Headphone? Front?
>

> We have
>
> a. a mail loop
> b. a clueless user w.r.t. vacation settings
>

> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

The so called user has bought a brand new mobo.
This mobo is the first mobo with "HD" sound.
So -- how should this poor guy know what is missing,
when it is a) not visible and b) unknown to the user?

Best regards,
the cluekless user

Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Jake Moe

On 07/09/10 01:44, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> [10-09-06 17:10]:
>> Apparently, though unproven, at 14:33 on Monday 06 September 2010, Nils
>> Larsson did opine thusly:

>>> But what is you're missing? S/DPIF? Headphone? Front?
>>
>> We have
>>
>> a. a mail loop
>> b. a clueless user w.r.t. vacation settings
>>

>> --
>> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>>
> The so called user has bought a brand new mobo.
> This mobo is the first mobo with "HD" sound.
> So -- how should this poor guy know what is missing,
> when it is a) not visible and b) unknown to the user?
>
> Best regards,
> the cluekless user
He wasn't talking to you. He was talking to the guy that posted the
same response 4 times to the list to your original e-mail. :-P

Jake Moe

Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Adam Carter

Perhaps;
1. Boot with knoppix
2. record lsmod output
3. Boot back into gentoo, go to kernel setup and select any missing modules, them make modules_install, and modprobe the modules (no need to reboot)
4. Try alsa again to see if anything has turned up?

FWIW on my laptop;
sphinx adam # lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV635 Audio device [Radeon HD 3600 Series]

sphinx adam # lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm_oss*********** 36995* 0
snd_mixer_oss********* 14411* 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss*********** 26559* 0
snd_seq_midi_event***** 5180* 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq*************** 47389* 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event

snd_seq_device********* 4949* 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi**** 2515* 1
snd_hda_codec_idt***** 49279* 1
snd_hda_intel********* 19482* 0
snd_hda_codec********* 61897* 3 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_in tel

snd_pcm*************** 69399* 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer************* 17735* 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd******************* 49836* 10 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_ seq_device,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda _codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer

snd_page_alloc********* 6705* 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Stroller

On 6 Sep 2010, at 14:12, Alan McKinnon wrote:

Apparently, though unproven, at 14:33 on Monday 06 September 2010,
Nils

Larsson did opine thusly:

I did an alsaconf- and update-modules-reboot-cycle, but the only
thing

I get with alsamixer are four bars:
master,pcm,capture,digital

Seems a little too less for "high definit audio", or ?

But what is you're missing? S/DPIF? Headphone? Front?

We have

a. a mail loop
b. a clueless user w.r.t. vacation settings

Or this:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=timed+out+while+sending+end+of+data+--+message+may+be+sent+more+than+once

http://tinyurl.com/3665ofj

Stroller.