Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Philip Webb

Default is Hal required for a Synaptics touchpad ? -- SOLVED

100904 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 04.09.2010 14:13, schrieb Philip Webb:
>> I successfully removed Hal from my desktop machine some time ago.
>> Today, I tried removing it from my ASUS EEE netbook :
>> I dropped 'hald' from the default runlevel,
>> & recompiled Xorg-server + Xf86-input-synaptics with USE="-hal",
>> but after X opens, everything is frozen (no touchpad, no keys).
>> Is anyone else using a touchpad w/o Hal ? Any suggestions ?
> Try switching to xorg-server-1.8.2 and xorg-drivers-1.8
> Make sure the udev use flag is enabled. Hope this helps

Yes, it did ! -- Between 3 machines with different specs,
it's difficult to keep track of every detail:
I updated to the latest testing version of everything,
incl Xinit & the 3 specific driver pkgs,
& added 'udev' to the list in make.conf , the overlooked detail.
I had forgotten how recently I removed Hal from my regular machine
-- 100703 -- & that I had to upgrade to 1.8 versions before doing so.

Thanks to Walt too, who also offered advice.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb