-   -   Lilo vs. LVM (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/422638-lilo-vs-lvm.html)

Konstantinos Agouros 09-04-2010 02:11 PM

Lilo vs. LVM

Hi,

I have a VM with a gentoo guest. For testing I set it up with an LVM
Volume Group that consisted of only one disk. Now I added a 2nd resized
the FS but lilo stopped working. When I call it I get:

# lilo
device-mapper: table ioctl failed: No such device or address
Fatal: device-mapper: dm_task_run(DM_DEVICE_TABLE) failed

/boot is also on the LVM volume.

Is maybe grub the answer to my problem?

Regards,

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: elwood@agouros.de
Altersheimerstr. 1, 81545 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185

Al 09-04-2010 07:07 PM

Lilo vs. LVM

2010/9/4 Konstantinos Agouros <elwood@agouros.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a VM with a gentoo guest. For testing I set it up with an LVM
> Volume Group that consisted of only one disk. Now I added a 2nd resized
> the FS but lilo stopped working. When I call it I get:
>
> # lilo
> device-mapper: table ioctl failed: No such device or address
> Fatal: device-mapper: dm_task_run(DM_DEVICE_TABLE) failed
>
> /boot is also on the LVM volume.
>
> Is maybe grub the answer to my problem?

A don't think so. Grub has more features comparing lilo. More features
== more complex. Dealing with VM, LVM and lilo is already one level of
complexity to much if you ask.

Al

walt 09-04-2010 09:03 PM

Lilo vs. LVM