Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Philip Webb

Default is Hal required for a Synaptics touchpad ?

I successfully removed Hal from my desktop machine some time ago.
Today, I tried removing it from my ASUS EEE netbook :
I dropped 'hald' from the default runlevel,
& recompiled Xorg-server + Xf86-input-synaptics with USE="-hal",
but after X opens, everything is frozen (no touchpad, no keys).

Is anyone else using a touchpad w/o Hal ? Any suggestions ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 PM
walt

I successfully removed Hal from my desktop machine some time ago.
Today, I tried removing it from my ASUS EEE netbook :
I dropped 'hald' from the default runlevel,
& recompiled Xorg-server + Xf86-input-synaptics with USE="-hal",
but after X opens, everything is frozen (no touchpad, no keys).

I'd try recompiling xf86-input-evdev as well. If that doesn't fix
the problem then start looking through the X logfile for error
messages.

How is the touchpad connected to the notebook?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 04.09.2010 14:13, schrieb Philip Webb:
> I successfully removed Hal from my desktop machine some time ago.
> Today, I tried removing it from my ASUS EEE netbook :
> I dropped 'hald' from the default runlevel,
> & recompiled Xorg-server + Xf86-input-synaptics with USE="-hal",
> but after X opens, everything is frozen (no touchpad, no keys).
>
> Is anyone else using a touchpad w/o Hal ? Any suggestions ?

Try switching to xorg-server-1.8.2 and xorg-drivers-1.8
Make sure the udev use flag is enabled.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp