Old 09-04-2010, 03:53 AM
David Relson

Default SOLVED: problem with PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI

Needed to use:

PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="userid@mydomain.com mymailserver.com"

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Stroller

On 4 Sep 2010, at 04:53, David Relson wrote:

Needed to use:

PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="userid@mydomain.com mymailserver.com"

I've got it without that, Portage 2.1.8.3.

$ grep ELOG /etc/make.conf
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILFROM="portage@hex"
$

Works fine here.

Stroller.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Stroller

On 4 Sep 2010, at 12:15, Stroller wrote:

On 4 Sep 2010, at 04:53, David Relson wrote:

Needed to use:

PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="userid@mydomain.com mymailserver.com"

I've got it without that, Portage 2.1.8.3.

$ grep ELOG /etc/make.conf
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILFROM="portage@hex"
$

Works fine here.

Ooops. Didn't see your subject "solved".

Stroller.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:15:01 +0100, Stroller wrote:

> > Needed to use:
> >
> > PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="userid@mydomain.com mymailserver.com"
>
> I've got it without that, Portage 2.1.8.3.
>
> $ grep ELOG /etc/make.conf
> PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
> PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root"
> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILFROM="portage@hex"
> $
>
> Works fine here.

Are you running a mailserver on localhost?

--
Neil Bothwick

If you can't be kind, be vague.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Stroller

I've got it without that, Portage 2.1.8.3.

$ grep ELOG /etc/make.conf
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root"
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILFROM="portage@hex"
$

Works fine here.

Are you running a mailserver on localhost?

Well, David's problem is SOLVED now, so I'm not sure that it matters,
but yes.

I assumed he would also have to be running a sendmail-replacement for
the example he gave to work:

echo "testing userid@mydomain.com" |
mail -s"testing userid@mydomain.com" userid@mydomain.com

I kinda assumed his problem was that `mail` would provide a valid
sender address, whereas the upstream ISP might reject mails from
portage with a dodgy from address.

Stroller.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:54 PM
David Relson

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 10:14:18 +0100
Stroller wrote:

> >> I've got it without that, Portage 2.1.8.3.
> >>
> >> $ grep ELOG /etc/make.conf
> >> PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
> >> PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
> >> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root"
> >> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILFROM="portage@hex"
> >> $
> >>
> >> Works fine here.
> >
> > Are you running a mailserver on localhost?
>
> Well, David's problem is SOLVED now, so I'm not sure that it
> matters, but yes.
>
> I assumed he would also have to be running a sendmail-replacement
> for the example he gave to work:
>
> > echo "testing userid@mydomain.com" |
> > mail -s"testing userid@mydomain.com" userid@mydomain.com
>
> I kinda assumed his problem was that `mail` would provide a valid
> sender address, whereas the upstream ISP might reject mails from
> portage with a dodgy from address.
>
> Stroller.

OP here ...

Having my own domain, I run my own mailserver -- but it's not on my
gentoo development machine. I read the emerge python code,
specifically mail.py, to find how PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI is handled.
Reading the code lead me to (finally) realize that I need to have a
PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI value with two (2) fields separated by a space
character.

David

Old 09-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Alex Schuster

David Relson writes:

> Having my own domain, I run my own mailserver -- but it's not on my
> gentoo development machine. I read the emerge python code,
> specifically mail.py, to find how PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI is handled.
> Reading the code lead me to (finally) realize that I need to have a
> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI value with two (2) fields separated by a space
> character.

There is some documentation in /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example:

# PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI: this variable holds all important settings for the mail
# module. In most cases listing the recipient address and
# the receiving mailserver should be sufficient, but you can
# also use advanced settings like authentication or TLS. The
# full syntax is:
# address [[userasswd@]mailserver[ort]]
# where
# address: recipient address
# user: username for smtp auth (defaults to none)
# passwd: password for smtp auth (defaults to none)
# mailserver: smtp server that should be used to deliver
the mail (defaults to localhost)
# alternatively this can also be a the path to a
sendmail binary if you don't want to use smtp
# port: port to use on the given smtp server (defaults
to 25, values > 100000 indicate that starttls
should be used on (port-100000))
# Examples:
#PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root@localhost localhost" (this is also the default setting)
#PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="user@some.domain mail.some.domain" (sends mails to user@some.domain using the mailserver mail.some.domain)
#PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="user@some.domain user:secret@mail.some.domain:100465" (this is left uncommented as a reader exercise

Wonko

Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Stroller

[...]

What version of portage, please? I certainly don't have that here, and
it seems to be working.

Stroller.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM
David Relson

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 11:32:16 +0100
Stroller wrote:

> >> I assumed he would also have to be running a sendmail-replacement
> >> for the example he gave to work:

> >> I kinda assumed his problem was that `mail` would provide a valid
> >> sender address, whereas the upstream ISP might reject mails from
> >> portage with a dodgy from address.
> >
> > OP here ...
> >
> > Having my own domain, I run my own mailserver -- but it's not on my
> > gentoo development machine. I read the emerge python code,
> > specifically mail.py, to find how PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI is handled.
> > Reading the code lead me to (finally) realize that I need to have a
> > PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI value with two (2) fields separated by a space
> > character.
>
> What version of portage, please? I certainly don't have that here,
> and it seems to be working.
>
> Stroller. 2.2_rc75

I'm running the latest and greatest 2.2_rc7. Are you running a mail
server on your local machine? My not doing so is why I need the space.