Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default cleaning:/usr/tmp/portage

Apparently, though unproven, at 16:55 on Friday 03 September 2010, James did
opine thusly:

> Hello,
>
> What the usual admin cycle/tools/habits
> for pruning /usr/tmp/portage
> for a Gentoo workstation
> or server?

at any arb point in time:

if (no instance of emerge running)
then
rm -rf /var/tmp/portage/*
endif

Keeping that stuff is pointless unless you are working on a failed ebuild. In
which case you won't run rm just yet. emerge nukes it anyway on the next
emerge of that package.

ebuild itself doesn't nuke it, but you really shouldn't be running ebuild
directly unless you are dev'ing something. To no need to ever keep that tmp
stuff around

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Alan McKinnon

Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Friday 03 September 2010, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What the usual admin cycle/tools/habits
> for pruning /usr/tmp/portage
> for a Gentoo workstation
> or server?
>

> James

tmpfs 8,0G 0 8,0G 0% /var/tmp/portage

thus with every reboot all the garbage is done.

uptime

there is no need to keep the box running while I am at work...

Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Gregory Shearman

In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
> On Friday 03 September 2010, James wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> What the usual admin cycle/tools/habits
>> for pruning /usr/tmp/portage
>> for a Gentoo workstation
>> or server?
>>

>> James
>

> tmpfs 8,0G 0 8,0G 0% /var/tmp/portage
>
> thus with every reboot all the garbage is done.
>
> uptime
> 19:44:45 up 2:39, 12 users, load average: 0.31, 0.19, 0.18
>
> there is no need to keep the box running while I am at work...

I'd like to see you emerge openoffice from source with that setup. I
reckon you'd need around 8Gb of memory to do the job.

Gregory.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Saturday 04 September 2010, Gregory Shearman wrote:
> In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
> > On Friday 03 September 2010, James wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> What the usual admin cycle/tools/habits
> >> for pruning /usr/tmp/portage
> >> for a Gentoo workstation
> >> or server?
> >>

> >> James
> >
> > tmpfs 8,0G 0 8,0G 0% /var/tmp/portage
> >
> > thus with every reboot all the garbage is done.
> >
> > uptime
> >
> > 19:44:45 up 2:39, 12 users, load average: 0.31, 0.19, 0.18
> >
> > there is no need to keep the box running while I am at work...
>
> I'd like to see you emerge openoffice from source with that setup. I
> reckon you'd need around 8Gb of memory to do the job.

1) I have 8GB ram
2) I have 24GB swap
3) tmpfs can be swapped out.

eix openoffice
[i] app-office/openoffice
Available versions: 3.2.0{tbz2} (~)3.2.1{tbz2}
Installed versions: 3.2.1{tbz2}(15:41:02 31.07.2010)

genlop -i app-office/openoffice
* app-office/openoffice

Total builds: 8
Global build time: 7 hours, 38 minutes and 30 seconds.
Average merge time: 57 minutes and 18 seconds.