Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/422317-blocks-migrating-kde-4-4-3-4-5-1-a.html)

Robin Atwood 09-03-2010 01:54 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
I decided to attempt the upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 now it's out. Upgrading Qt to
4.6.3 got rid of most of the blocks but I am left with a problem with
kdepimlib. It looks like various kdenetwork packages are dragging in
kdepimlib-4.5.1 which is incompatible with keeping KDEPIM at 4.4. Anyone else
seen this and (hopefully) have a solution?


* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

('installed', '/', 'kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3', 'nomerge') pulled in by
>=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3[akonadi,-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by
('installed', '/', 'kde-base/kmail-4.4.3', 'nomerge')
>=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3[akonadi,-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by
('installed', '/', 'kde-base/kdepim-runtime-4.4.3', 'nomerge')
>=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3[akonadi,-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by
('installed', '/', 'kde-base/akonadi-4.4.3', 'nomerge')
(and 4 more)

('ebuild', '/', 'kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.5.1', 'merge') pulled in by
>=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.5.1[-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by ('ebuild', '/',
'kde-base/kopete-4.5.1', 'merge')
>=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3[-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by ('installed',
'/', 'kde-base/knode-4.4.3', 'nomerge')
>=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.5.1[semantic-desktop,-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by
('ebuild', '/', 'kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.5.1', 'merge')
(and 23 more)

TIA
-Robin
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Robin Atwood.

"Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan McKinnon 09-03-2010 02:05 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
Apparently, though unproven, at 15:54 on Friday 03 September 2010, Robin
Atwood did opine thusly:

> I decided to attempt the upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 now it's out. Upgrading Qt to
> 4.6.3 got rid of most of the blocks but I am left with a problem with
> kdepimlib. It looks like various kdenetwork packages are dragging in
> kdepimlib-4.5.1 which is incompatible with keeping KDEPIM at 4.4. Anyone
> else seen this and (hopefully) have a solution?


Are you installing from portage or from the overlay?


>
>
> * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> * installed at the same time on the same system.
>
> ('installed', '/', 'kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3', 'nomerge') pulled in by
>
> >=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3[akonadi,-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by
>
> ('installed', '/', 'kde-base/kmail-4.4.3', 'nomerge')
>
> >=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3[akonadi,-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by
>
> ('installed', '/', 'kde-base/kdepim-runtime-4.4.3', 'nomerge')
>
> >=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3[akonadi,-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by
>
> ('installed', '/', 'kde-base/akonadi-4.4.3', 'nomerge')
> (and 4 more)
>
> ('ebuild', '/', 'kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.5.1', 'merge') pulled in by
>
> >=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.5.1[-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by ('ebuild',
> >'/',
>
> 'kde-base/kopete-4.5.1', 'merge')
>
> >=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.4.3[-kdeprefix,-aqua] required by ('installed',
>
> '/', 'kde-base/knode-4.4.3', 'nomerge')
>
> >=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.5.1[semantic-desktop,-kdeprefix,-aqua] required
> >by
>
> ('ebuild', '/', 'kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.5.1', 'merge')
> (and 23 more)
>
> TIA
> -Robin

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Robin Atwood 09-03-2010 02:14 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
On Friday 03 September 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 15:54 on Friday 03 September 2010, Robin
>
> Atwood did opine thusly:
> > I decided to attempt the upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 now it's out. Upgrading Qt
> > to 4.6.3 got rid of most of the blocks but I am left with a problem with
> > kdepimlib. It looks like various kdenetwork packages are dragging in
> > kdepimlib-4.5.1 which is incompatible with keeping KDEPIM at 4.4. Anyone
> > else seen this and (hopefully) have a solution?
>
> Are you installing from portage or from the overlay?

From the kde overlay. It's not in portage yet, is it?

Cheers
-Robin
--
------------------------------------------------------
Robin Atwood, Bangkok, Thailand.
tel/fax: +66 2252 1438
mobile: +66 851 322487
MSN: robin@binro.org
Skype: abend922
Yahoo: abend922
------------------------------------------------------

Alan McKinnon 09-03-2010 02:35 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
Apparently, though unproven, at 16:14 on Friday 03 September 2010, Robin
Atwood did opine thusly:

> On Friday 03 September 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 15:54 on Friday 03 September 2010, Robin
> >
> > Atwood did opine thusly:
> > > I decided to attempt the upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 now it's out. Upgrading
> > > Qt to 4.6.3 got rid of most of the blocks but I am left with a problem
> > > with kdepimlib. It looks like various kdenetwork packages are dragging
> > > in kdepimlib-4.5.1 which is incompatible with keeping KDEPIM at 4.4.
> > > Anyone else seen this and (hopefully) have a solution?
> >
> > Are you installing from portage or from the overlay?
>
> From the kde overlay. It's not in portage yet, is it?

There's an blog entry on the front page at www.gentoo.org about 4.5.1, it
seems to imply that it will go into portage with kdepimlibs pegged at 4.4. But
it's wasn't in portage yet as of this morning

You have kopete and other ebuilds pulling in >=kdepimlib-4.5.1 so hard masking
the later version won't work. I can only think of two approaches:

1. move the kde ebuilds to your private overlay and edit the DEPENDS for the
offending packages,
2. wait till 4.5.* hits portage

I faced the same decision and went with #2. It's lousy collection of choices,
perhaps someone else has a better plan.


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Robin Atwood 09-03-2010 03:28 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
On Friday 03 September 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:14 on Friday 03 September 2010, Robin
>
> Atwood did opine thusly:
> > On Friday 03 September 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > Apparently, though unproven, at 15:54 on Friday 03 September 2010,
> > > Robin
> > >
> > > Atwood did opine thusly:
> > > > I decided to attempt the upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 now it's out. Upgrading
> > > > Qt to 4.6.3 got rid of most of the blocks but I am left with a
> > > > problem with kdepimlib. It looks like various kdenetwork packages
> > > > are dragging in kdepimlib-4.5.1 which is incompatible with keeping
> > > > KDEPIM at 4.4. Anyone else seen this and (hopefully) have a
> > > > solution?
> > >
> > > Are you installing from portage or from the overlay?
> >
> > From the kde overlay. It's not in portage yet, is it?
>
> There's an blog entry on the front page at www.gentoo.org about 4.5.1, it
> seems to imply that it will go into portage with kdepimlibs pegged at 4.4.
> But it's wasn't in portage yet as of this morning

I looked at the blog entry and at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=230247
which it cites and the bug implies that you need kdepimlibs-4.5.*. So maybe
the solution is to unemerge kdepimlibs-4.4.* and then rebuild KDEPIM-4.4
against kdepimlibs-4.5.1.

> You have kopete and other ebuilds pulling in >=kdepimlib-4.5.1 so hard
> masking the later version won't work. I can only think of two approaches:
>
> 1. move the kde ebuilds to your private overlay and edit the DEPENDS for
> the offending packages,
> 2. wait till 4.5.* hits portage
>
> I faced the same decision and went with #2. It's lousy collection of
> choices, perhaps someone else has a better plan.

I am sure I saw some posts here where people claimed to have installed 4.5.0
from the overlay. Maybe they have some input? Otherwise I will go with choice
2!

-Robin
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Robin Atwood.

"Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dale 09-03-2010 04:24 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
Robin Atwood wrote:

I am sure I saw some posts here where people claimed to have installed 4.5.0
from the overlay. Maybe they have some input? Otherwise I will go with choice
2!

-Robin



I mentioned in a thread somewhere that I tried installing KDE 4.5.0.
Thing is, all I got was a lot of broken pieces and no GUI for several
hours while I downgraded.


Me, I'm waiting until they get it in the tree unless some people post
they can get it from a overlay and everything "just works".


Dale

:-) :-)

Alex Schuster 09-03-2010 05:48 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
Dale writes:

> Robin Atwood wrote:
> > I am sure I saw some posts here where people claimed to have
> > installed 4.5.0 from the overlay. Maybe they have some input?
> > Otherwise I will go with choice 2!

I am running 4.5.0 for a while now, and for me it is the best KDE4 ever.
Which does not mean that all is perfect, but there are less bugs than with
previous versions, and, so far, few new bugs. Most annoying for konqueror
users is that when you open an URL from a link in kmail or kopete, it
opens a local copy in /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/krun/ [1], without CSS and
with links not working. I got used to chromium as default browser so this
is not a big issue for me. The kdepim suite was not ready yet, I don't use
it anyway. Not sure if I should suggest using it - I also heard bad things
about it, but personally I did not regret the update. I was disappojnted
with KDE 4.4, so I dared to do this. If things are working for you, I'd
suggest to wait a little longer.

> I mentioned in a thread somewhere that I tried installing KDE 4.5.0.
> Thing is, all I got was a lot of broken pieces and no GUI for several
> hours while I downgraded.

Always install some additional window managers for these cases :) So at
least you have a GUI and can do useful things with your machine while
downgrading. FEATURES=usepkg is also useful and reduces build time. Or
back up your whole system before, this is what I do. In an emergency, I
can just go back in a short time.

> Me, I'm waiting until they get it in the tree unless some people post
> they can get it from a overlay and everything "just works".

KDE 4.5.1 just hit the kde overlay (including kdepimlibs-4.5.1, but other
kdepim stuff still is at 4.4), I'm starting to build as soon as my backup
has finished. I'll report my experiences when it's done. Could take a
while.

No idea why I do not get the blockers the OP has.

Wonko

[1] https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=245525

Dale 09-03-2010 05:55 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
Alex Schuster wrote:

Dale writes:

Always install some additional window managers for these cases :) So at

least you have a GUI and can do useful things with your machine while
downgrading. FEATURES=usepkg is also useful and reduces build time. Or
back up your whole system before, this is what I do. In an emergency, I
can just go back in a short time.



Me, I'm waiting until they get it in the tree unless some people post
they can get it from a overlay and everything "just works".


KDE 4.5.1 just hit the kde overlay (including kdepimlibs-4.5.1, but other
kdepim stuff still is at 4.4), I'm starting to build as soon as my backup
has finished. I'll report my experiences when it's done. Could take a
while.

No idea why I do not get the blockers the OP has.

Wonko

[1] https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=245525





I do only have KDE on here. The bad thing is, I use kdm for my login
manager. Even that was broken. I had no GUI and no way to login to KDE
or anything else.


I do save binaries but a few of them got deleted. I guess eclean got a
little froggy or something. Some of the larger packages, qt, kdelibs,
etc, etc, had to rebuild from scratch. At least I didn't have to have
OOo rebuilt. o_O


Looking forward to seeing how your upgrade works out.

Dale

:-) :-)

Alex Schuster 09-03-2010 06:18 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
Dale writes:

> I do only have KDE on here. The bad thing is, I use kdm for my login
> manager. Even that was broken. I had no GUI and no way to login to
> KDE or anything else.

Log into a text console, and start KDE with 'XSESSION=KDE-4 startx'.
Replace KDE-4 with anything from /etc/X11/Sessions/ for other window
managers.


> Looking forward to seeing how your upgrade works out.

Not so well, rdiff-backup of /usr crashed, not sure why. I'll try again,
or create a new backup from scratch.

Wonko

Dale 09-03-2010 06:39 PM

Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
 
Alex Schuster wrote:

Dale writes:



I do only have KDE on here. The bad thing is, I use kdm for my login
manager. Even that was broken. I had no GUI and no way to login to
KDE or anything else.


Log into a text console, and start KDE with 'XSESSION=KDE-4 startx'.
Replace KDE-4 with anything from /etc/X11/Sessions/ for other window
managers.




Looking forward to seeing how your upgrade works out.


Not so well, rdiff-backup of /usr crashed, not sure why. I'll try again,
or create a new backup from scratch.

Wonko




That may have helped if kdm was the only thing broken. I got part way
through the upgrade then had packages that wouldn't build. Portage gave
up on skipping packages and just stopped building. I couldn't get past
that problem so I had to go back to the older KDE. So, kdm was broke
but so was KDE itself. I needed something like Fluxbox that could run
all by itself with nothing related to KDE.


Glad you got backups. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.