Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Allan Gottlieb

Default ignore previous msg (Hotplugging not working)

Jake Moe <jakesaddress@gmail.com> writes:

> On 31/08/10 06:57, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> I plugged into the desktop and looked on the laptop.
>>
>> Sorry for the noise,
>> allan
>>
> Whups, only looked at the previous thread, didn't see this. Probably
> best if you reply to the thread with stuff like this, so we can keep
> track of it.

I thought of that. The problem is that there is quite a delay between
my sending the msg and seeing it appear in the newsgroup.
I wanted to tell people right away to prevent wasted effort.

Perhaps I should have "replied" to my local copy (gnus GCC), but then
the references would not be right in the newsgroup.

allan

Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 AM
Bill Longman

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

Jake Moe <jakesaddress@gmail.com> writes:

> *On 31/08/10 06:57, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

>> I plugged into the desktop and looked on the laptop.

>> Sorry for the noise,

*That* is a keeper.
For the past few months I've had two keyboards on my desk - one for the Sun box and the other on the KVM for the Linux boxes. Innumerable times I've wondered why my screensaver password never got accepted. Until I realized I was on the wrong keyboard.

Thanks for the grin, Allan.--
Bill Longman

Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Stroller

I plugged into the desktop and looked on the laptop.

Sorry for the noise,
allan

Whups, only looked at the previous thread, didn't see this. Probably
best if you reply to the thread with stuff like this, so we can keep
track of it.

I thought of that. The problem is that there is quite a delay between
my sending the msg and seeing it appear in the newsgroup.
I wanted to tell people right away to prevent wasted effort.

Perhaps I should have "replied" to my local copy (gnus GCC), but then
the references would not be right in the newsgroup.

Replying to the copy in your sent items should cause the reply to show
properly in thread.

The recipients' mail client should thread based the Message-Id: and

I paused before clicking send on this message, thinking that the
sent items I find it to be added by the client (or by my client, at
least) and a grep finds this header to be preserved when the message
arrived to the list.

Stroller.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

> On 31 Aug 2010, at 01:31, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I should have "replied" to my local copy (gnus GCC), but then
>> the references would not be right in the newsgroup.
>
> Replying to the copy in your sent items should cause the reply to show
> properly in thread.
>
> The recipients' mail client should thread based the Message-Id: and
>
> I paused before clicking send on this message, thinking that the
> sent items I find it to be added by the client (or by my client, at
> least) and a grep finds this header to be preserved when the message
> arrived to the list.

I hadn't realized this. Just to be sure, I will send in a few minutes
a reply to my local copy (Gnus GCC) of the first msg. You are probable
right as I should have realized that gnus will, as usual, do the right
thing.

allan