Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 PM
econti

Default Output of "emerge -NDpvu world"

Hi all
is it possible to page the output of "emerge -NDpvu world" in a terminal?
'emerge -NDpvu world | more' does not work.

emilio

Old 08-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM, econti <contiemilio@alice.it> wrote:
> Hi all
> is it possible to page the output of "emerge -NDpvu world" in a terminal?
> 'emerge -NDpvu world | more' does not work.

If you use screen you can then use the scrollback it provides

Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Monday 30 August 2010, econti wrote:
> Hi all
> is it possible to page the output of "emerge -NDpvu world" in a terminal?
> 'emerge -NDpvu world | more' does not work.
>
> emilio

works with less...

Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Harm Geerts

On Monday 30 August 2010, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Monday 30 August 2010, econti wrote:
> > Hi all
> > is it possible to page the output of "emerge -NDpvu world" in a terminal?
> > 'emerge -NDpvu world | more' does not work.
> >
> > emilio
>
> works with less...

I've never understood why distro's still bother with more, it's so
impractical.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:23:03 +0200, Harm Geerts wrote:

> I've never understood why distro's still bother with more, it's so
> impractical.

Lowest common denominator. Like vi, it may be crap but all Linux installs
are expected to have it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Love is grand. Divorce is a few grand more.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM
econti

Volker Armin Hemmann ha scritto:

is it possible to page the output of "emerge -NDpvu world" in a terminal?
'emerge -NDpvu world | more' does not work.

emilio

works with less...

Not for me! :-(

Bye
emilio

Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
walt

is it possible to page the output of "emerge -NDpvu world" in a terminal?
'emerge -NDpvu world | more' does not work.

emilio

works with less...

Not for me! :-(

Hm. Works for with either more or less.

What do you see if you do "emerge -p system | more" ?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"