Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM
James

Default OT: new mail client

Hello,

OK, so I/m ready to move a few users from the mail client in Seamonkey
to a new mail client package. Thunderbird looks reasonable, runs on Winblows
and Linux and is not tied to a given desktop platform. I did
read bugzilla about enigmail not working with the latest
thunderbird: Bug 301114. ;-) Is there a better(alternative) way
to use encryption with thunderbird?

In general, I like the way the
mozilla mail systems work, but, I want something, easy
to admin (users do email backups), easy to migrate
from seamonkey, and able to run on Winblows or Linux.

A nice system wide backup strategy with around 2 dozen
thunderbird clients, is also part of the strategy. So
first users try to retrieve their lost emails, then
ask an admin...... I like a separate backup system for email
not part of the regular backup system.....

All comments are welcome.

TIA,
James

Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Daniel Troeder

On 08/30/2010 04:10 PM, James wrote:
> OK, so I/m ready to move a few users from the mail client in Seamonkey
> to a new mail client package. Thunderbird looks reasonable, runs on Winblows
> and Linux and is not tied to a given desktop platform. I did
> read bugzilla about enigmail not working with the latest
> thunderbird: Bug 301114. ;-) Is there a better(alternative) way
> to use encryption with thunderbird?
Enigmail works great, if installed via usual extension mechanism. It's
just, that the user (or you for them) has to do it once...

> In general, I like the way the
> mozilla mail systems work, but, I want something, easy
> to admin (users do email backups), easy to migrate
> from seamonkey, and able to run on Winblows or Linux.
>
> A nice system wide backup strategy with around 2 dozen
> thunderbird clients, is also part of the strategy. So
> first users try to retrieve their lost emails, then
> ask an admin...... I like a separate backup system for email
> not part of the regular backup system.....
TB3 brings archive support. I don't know if that is what you need, but
see for yourself:
http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Archived+messages

I prefer having all mails stored on the server (used with IMAP) and
backing that up. Most users I know just forget to make backups/archives.
Of course if they need a lost mail - you're right - it's work for us
I think dovecot-imap has an automated archiving mechanism too...

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887

Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Aniruddha

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:10 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> A nice system wide backup strategy with around 2 dozen
> thunderbird clients, is also part of the strategy. So
> first users try to retrieve their lost emails, then
> ask an admin...... I like a separate backup system for email
> not part of the regular backup system.....

pop3 is easy to backup, just copy the ~/.thundebird folder
(%APPDATA%/thunderbird on Windows). You can use rscync, rsnapshot or a
commercial program like CrashPlan. Another option is to provide an
imap server with Zarafa which allows users to restore e-mails (1) and
(brick) level backups server side (2)

1) http://doc.zarafa.com/6.40/User_Manual/en-US/html/_restoring_deleted_items.html
2) http://doc.zarafa.com/6.40/Administrator_Manual/en-US/html/_backup_amp_restore.html

Old 09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
James

Daniel Troeder <daniel <at> admin-box.com> writes:

> TB3 brings archive support. I don't know if that is what you need, but
> see for yourself:
> http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Archived+messages

> I prefer having all mails stored on the server (used with IMAP) and
> backing that up. Most users I know just forget to make backups/archives.
> Of course if they need a lost mail - you're right - it's work for us
> I think dovecot-imap has an automated archiving mechanism too...

Hmmmm,

I'll have to play with all o these
and figure would what works
best.

thx,
James

Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
James

Aniruddha <mailingdotlist <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 1) http://doc.zarafa.com/6.40/User_Manual/en-US/html/_restoring_deleted_items.html
> 2)
http://doc.zarafa.com/6.40/Administrator_Manual/en-US/html/_backup_amp_restore.html

Ok,